Granite for oven surface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite for oven surface?

Hi, I'm new and investigating options for building an oven. Is it possible to use 30mm thick granite for the oven surface. I know granite can be heated up to significantly high temperatures and so was wondering if this would be a good long term solution rather than using fire bricks.

thanks

Re: Granite for oven surface?

First off Rod - Welcome to the group! You are starting down the love hate road of construction and materials and....

In reading this, I take that you are wanting to use granite for the floor of the oven.

The simple answer is (drum roll please) NO

To explain, though granite is beautiful and take some temp, it cannot handle the temperatures you will be subjecting it to due to the pesky Thermodynamics and expansion coefficient for it. If you are set upon using stone for the floor, there are those who have used soapstone with great success. Plus. soapstone is easier to work with and cheaper to purchase (a good thing in my book.) Downside - not as pretty.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I understand the thermo bit, but if it is in smaller tight nit pattern, will it work or do the stones crumble and so on? Sorry for a possibly dumb question but I am a novice

Comment

It will not crumble it will spall explosively.

Comment

Tscarborough, thank you. I was wondering why it was rarely mentioned apart from decorative work. I wondered if it were a cost thing. I will obviously be steering clear in that case!

Comment

Welcome Kiwi,

Hope that is not a derogatory name, although granite will not work, some builds have used soapstone for their floors, IE, GianniFocaccia or heater tiles - Bookemdano. With the high cost of firebrick in AU and NZ can't blame you for looking for an alternative floor option.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Utah. Got any other cost saving ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by waikato pizza View Post
                Thanks Utah. Got any other cost saving ideas?
                use home brew for your refractory mortar.

Build a house around your oven and insulate first with Ceramic fiber board for floor and blanket for dome, suplement with verimicrete for floor and pour perlite or vermicrete into house over dome.

Lowers operating cost of oven by lowering your wood usage and improving cooking capibilities due to heat retention.

Search craigslist for building materials, make a well fitting well insulated door for heat retention.

chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM. Reason: added additional ideas
                Chip

Comment

Working...
                X