finding lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding lime

I've been searching around for a source of lime. From the different concrete, home stores, and a couple of other locations no body has any. I am able to locate agricuture limestone. Can I use this to make my morter mix?

Re: finding lime

Ask for hydrated lime or Type-S lime. Home Depot carries it. You'll find it right next to bagged concrete. Or call a masonry supplier. They carry it, too.

Edit: I stand corrected--it's not in stock in any Orlando HD.

Agricultural lime ( calcium carbonate) is not the same as hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide), and should not be used in mortars.

Have you tried Harwood Brick yet?
    Last edited by azatty; 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Masonry supply houses, CMU manufacturers, Brick distributors, that is about it for Type S lime.

Comment

OK, I found some hydrated lime at Ace Hardware. It is from bonide and it does say it is from calcium hydroxide. Should I be OK using this?

Comment

I'm in Riverview, FL and finally found some at the local feed store. 50lb was less than $10.00. Coloroc in Oldsmar told me they couldn't source it. This stuff comes from Alabama.

Comment

yes, but watch out if you have any little cuts on your fingers.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well.... Actually you want double-hydrated lime, ie Type S lime, but it may be very hard to find. Looking at the data sheet, that is not really what you want.

Comment

So with the hydrated lime that I found it a possible. What about this.

http://quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SHEET-...ementtypeS.pdf

I've called 8-10 different places on Friday including Masonary, CBS plants and home improvement centers with everybody saying that don't have it and don't know where to get it from. Does anybody know where I can get Type-S lime from?

Comment

Searching under "masonry supplies" in Orlando, I come up with many sources.

Comment

Type S mortar contains 1 part portland to 1/2 part lime, and it is not required that the lime be Type S lime.

Comment

Seth, did you find Type-S or Hydrated Lime at a feed store? I found some Type-S online through a pool company but the shipping is the killer. All of the online places that I found it is $30 -$50 for the shipping.

Originally posted by Seth Hensel View Post
                      I'm in Riverview, FL and finally found some at the local feed store. 50lb was less than $10.00. Coloroc in Oldsmar told me they couldn't source it. This stuff comes from Alabama.

Comment

I'm in SC. this link was the only place I found that was close. As previously stated, the shipping kills. I went with it because I wanted all the right material for my build and didn't want to take any chances with the ratios although from reading other postings there is a little flexability.

California Silica 120387 50 LB Chemstar Type "S" Lime Star-Pool

Steven

Comment

Remingtion Specialty Feed on 301 sells type N hydrated lime. This is manufactured by Cheney Lime and Cement in Allgood, AL.

The difference betweem Type S (special) and type N (normal) lime is the possible presence of MgO (Magnesium Oxide). MgO converts to MG(OH)2 (Magnesium Hydroxide) in the presence of water, over time. Put that in a water suspension and you have Milk of Magnesia.....but I digress.

1% of MgO will take up 2% more space when converted to Mg(OH)2. This can wreak havoc with precision industrial processes such as autoclaved air-entrained brick. Not a big issue with us oven builders.

Another difference between Type N and Type S is the water retension spec. 75% for N and 85% for S. Not significant for our usage.

Crude Hydrated lime has been used successfully for at least two millenia to make ovens. I used it in my 48 inch Neapolitan which fires to over a thousand degrees (without a crack BTW). The Type N lime from Cheney is a very uniform product.

A bigger deal, in my very limited experience is the grit size of the sand you use and the ambient temperature during cure. I work in the evening here in Florida so the initial cure happens as the atmosphere is cooling.

Good luck with your build. If I can help, just PM me.

Comment

When you mention crude hydrated lime. Is that the agriculture lime that ace and some other locations sell. I've made 20-30 calls and everybody from contractors and distributors keep telling me that it isn't used in this area so nobody stocks it. I called home depot corporate and the stopped carrying it. That is the type-s lime.

Comment

Ag lime is Calcium Carbonate. What we are looking for is Calcium Hydroxide. You do not need type S lime. Type N (normal) is perfect.

Try Palmer Feed Store 912 W. Church St.
                              PalmerFeedStore | Our Products

They have 50lb bags of hydrated lime for $14.95

I have no business or other connection to Palmer Feed Store. They were just the first such business I contacted.

Good luck!

Seth
                              Last edited by Seth Hensel; 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Working...
                              X