Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ceramic Blanket

Originally posted by spinal tap View Post
    I have some extra ceramic fiber blanket I bought from Forno Bravo and I would like to use it to insulate a door. I have a concern of it being touched by the welder. Will it burn or catch fire by an open flame?
    It may melt in small places where the arc touches the metal, may but I doubt it.
    From memory ceramic blanket is rated at 1500c, welding arcs are 3000c that is at the weld puddle, mm's away it will cool rapidly.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

My riveted door works very well. and you could use blanket no problem.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ota-16394.html

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        It may melt in small places where the arc touches the metal, may but I doubt it.
        From memory ceramic blanket is rated at 1500c, welding arcs are 3000c that is at the weld puddle, mm's away it will cool rapidly.
        1260C is the working limit, but melts at 1700C Alan. Shouldnt have many dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
          but melts at 1700C Alan.
          I knew that as soon as I posted it, my gas forge got to 1550c I think the other day and the blanket glowed like buggery but was still there....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have one small question:

If you use the ceramic fibre blanket in a WFO wouldn't some particles be in touch with food should the WFO develop some cracks with time? (which they eventually do)

Comment

The new generation ceramic fibre is exonerated as a class 2 carcinogen unlike the older stuff. That means some lab rats got tumours but none reported in humans. The new fibre is biosoluble so doesn’t cause problems if inhaled. There has never been a concern about ingestion only inhalation. Check your MSDS in the toxicity section on the blanket you have or are buying to see if it is biosoluble.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                The new generation ceramic fibre is exonerated as a class 2 carcinogen unlike the older stuff. That means some lab rats got tumours but none reported in humans. The new fibre is biosoluble so doesn’t cause problems if inhaled. There has never been a concern about ingestion only inhalation. Check your MSDS in the toxicity section on the blanket you have or are buying to see if it is biosoluble.
                I'm just into these thoughts before ordering a blanket. New with construction and refractory material in general. Was always wondering why there are so many product and safety document attached for all the typical products relevant for an oven build, but now I realize there are quite some hazards to look out for in the construction area and especially within refractory.

Whats the latest with regard to blankets for a worried soul? Just try to look for a product that is confidently specified as biosoluble?

FB, regular type insulation?
                Last edited by Ganlet; 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I can't speak for Forno Bravo. But, using the proper ppe should be used for all aspects of an oven build. That includes the installation of insulation, the cutting of brick, the use of lime, the use of portland, the use of clay and even the use of sand. The below MSDS is for play sand. Once the materials are set into place, no worries. Just my opinion.

Play Sand MSDS
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    I can't speak for Forno Bravo. But, using the proper ppe should be used for all aspects of an oven build. That includes the installation of insulation, the cutting of brick, the use of lime, the use of portland, the use of clay and even the use of sand. The below MSDS is for play sand. Once the materials are set into place, no worries. Just my opinion.

Play Sand MSDS
                    Well said, most certainly planning to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganlet View Post

I'm just into these thoughts before ordering a blanket. New with construction and refractory material in general. Was always wondering why there are so many product and safety document attached for all the typical products relevant for an oven build, but now I realize there are quite some hazards to look out for in the construction area and especially within refractory.

Whats the latest with regard to blankets for a worried soul? Just try to look for a product that is confidently specified as biosoluble?

FB, regular type insulation?
                      I don't think there's much of the older generation blanket left these days. Check the MSDS toxicity section. Attached is the product I use.
                      Attached Files
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                      X