Roxul Monoboard Insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxul Monoboard Insulation?

Any heard of/used this stuff? It is different than rockboard insulation which I know someone on here used unsuccessfully due to it not being rigid enough. Monoboard is supposedly rigid and dimensionally stable, and also has a working temperature of up to 1200F, plenty hot for my oven floor as I don't ever see the bottom part of my floor getting above half that temp. The best part is that it is cheap - about 45 cents a square foot, but it only seems to come in large orders - 640 square feet.

Has anyone ever gone seriously overboard and insulated their oven like crazy - over a foot of board insulation under the oven and a foot and half of blanket insulation on the top? Just curious, it is what I am thinking of doing right now.

Re: Roxul Monoboard Insulation?

Originally posted by clg763 View Post
    Any heard of/used this stuff? It is different than rockboard insulation which I know someone on here used unsuccessfully due to it not being rigid enough. Monoboard is supposedly rigid and dimensionally stable, and also has a working temperature of up to 1200F, plenty hot for my oven floor as I don't ever see the bottom part of my floor getting above half that temp. The best part is that it is cheap - about 45 cents a square foot, but it only seems to come in large orders - 640 square feet.

Has anyone ever gone seriously overboard and insulated their oven like crazy - over a foot of board insulation under the oven and a foot and half of blanket insulation on the top? Just curious, it is what I am thinking of doing right now.
    Not sure what monoboard is check with the supplier to see if it has any binders in it that might burn off; that would be a problem.

Do not waste a ton of money on extra blanket over the oven, use Blanket and then Perlite or vermiculite. it is much cheaper and works great. I have about a foot of Prelite over 3 inches of blanket. I have 2.5 inches of 7/1 vermicrete and 2 inches of ceramic board and I wish I had put down another 1 - 2 inches of ceramic board under the floor.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM.
    Chip

Comment

I have one layer of blanket and several layers of Roxul stone wool insulation, they are similar to fiberglass except they are made of stone and, like the board, have a working temp up to 1200F and do not actually break down until 2200F, I have put this stuff in a bonfire before and pulled it out afterwords, blackened, but in the same condition it was before. Also, stone wools don't absorb water either. The price is cheaper than vermiculite, plus it works better for my dome shaped oven as I won't be doing a loose fill of vermiculite.

No, there are no binders that break down at a lower temp, these are made to withstand high temperature, you can check out videos on youtube of it being used in fire demonstrations next to fiberglass insulation.

Comment

plus it works better for my dome shaped oven as I won't be doing a loose fill of vermiculite.
        The product sounds like a good idea from your description.

You get a lot of rain in Rockford, Are you concerned about a dome and water infiltration?

Chip
        Chip

Comment

A little bit, but I am doing a mobile oven and the dome just works a lot better on the trailer esp with high wind loads. I have a waterproof tarp that I cover it with during rainy times and I try to uncover it when it is going to be dry out for a while. As I understand, it sounds like its a good idea to put a hole in the top of the dome, but I have seen the way this insulation acts in water, it really does repel it, it can sit out uncovered in a rain storm and after shaking off the surface water, nothing wrings out of it.

I am really curious how well it will keep heat in with such a ridiculous amount of insulation.

Chip, how does your oven do temp wise on days two and three?

Comment

Chip, how does your oven do temp wise on days two and three?
            After a full heat saturating Pizza party I still have 650+ plus the next morning, If I never remove my insulating door. I will have the following give or take a few degrees.

Sunday Pizza 800
            Monday Evening 600
            Tuesday evening 500
            Wed evening 400
            after that it goes down slowly but I have no data because I usually am cooking again. Even after baking/cooking on days 2 and 3 I still see over 200 after day 5.

4 inch ceramic inside of stainless and aluminum door. My primary post is
            "Chip's 42 in Minnesota"

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Chip, thats insane, 400F three days later! I would be thrilled if I could get similar performance from my oven. I will definitely be putting a lot of insulation down under floor as I noticed with my initial set up that it still leaked heat more than I would like, it felt hot to touch after 3" of ceramic board during the end of my curing.

Comment

Chip, thats insane, 400F three days later! I would be thrilled if I could get similar performance from my oven. I will definitely be putting a lot of insulation down under floor as I noticed with my initial set up that it still leaked heat more than I would like, it felt hot to touch after 3" of ceramic board during the end of my curing.
                I get some temp rise into the slab also, I wish I had more insulation under the oven. Now and forever. 2.5 inches of 7/1 vermicrete and 2 inches FB Board.

Chip
                Chip

Comment

Working...
                X