Need a small piece of ceramic insulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a small piece of ceramic insulator

I have finished my oven and have found that I need to insulate my door a bit more to retain more heat for bread baking. I used all my ceramic blanket and board materials to cover the dome. I need a 20" x 20" piece of either rigid foam or blanket material to insulate the door. Does anyone have a left over piece I could buy? I live in Florida so preferable someone in the US to keep shippin costs down.

Jeff Cook

Re: Need a small piece of ceramic insulator

I hope to be insulating my door this coming week, it is being fabbed at the metal shop now, so I may have some extra cal sil board. How thick do you need and do you mind if it is not one solid piece? I might be able to get one 20"x20" piece but I am not sure.

I might even have some left over blanket now that I think of it. I bought an extra roll to stuff my chimney. Do you prefer one over the other? Board or blanket?

I will look in my shed tomrrow.

David
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

I prefer board but I can make the blanket work. It is OK if it isn't in one piece.

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

Check with your local foundry supplier and see if they may have some board that has been damaged in the warehouse or in shipping.

I got a few insulated fire bricks for my thermal break -- when I was picking up my materials I noticed some insulated brick with chips out of the edges and I asked if I could get them at a discount, They just handed them to me and said they were glad to get them out of the way.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip. I'll see if there is a foundry supply place near me. I was getting my brick from a brick yard but they don't carry other high temp materials.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

I am still waiting for my door to be made. The shop told me it should be done on weds. I think I will have some board left over. How thick do you need it to be?

Just let me know and we can work on getting this to you. Or maybe you can find it like Chip mentioned.

David

Comment

I have 2 doors. One is about 12" x 12" and the other is 20" x 24". If you have that much left I would love to have it.

I have been unable to find a foundry supply in my area. I also tried to find Kiln suppliers and heating suppliers but have been unable to find anything that would work.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

I can definetly do the 12X12. How many inches thick are you looking for? The door I am making will be 3 or 4 inches deep. I had it made so I could adjust the thickness if need be.

I have odd board sizes. The place I bought them from was out of the standard 2 inch when I was there.

David

Comment

I would like to make the door 3 to 4 inches thick but am flexible. I can use whatever you provide.

Comment

Working...
                  X