Insblock 19 thickness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insblock 19 thickness question

After much searching, I have decided on ANH refractories Insblock 19 and they stock in 1, 1.5 and 2" thickness with 1x3'. All the other ceramic boards would need to be shipped and the cost was 3 times what the Insblock is coming in at $112 that I can pick it up locally.

Now the question, should I use the 1" and stagger the two layers of boards or just use the 2" boards and let the seams meet wherever.

Also, if they have the 1.5" boards in stock (I only asked about the 1 and 2" being in stock), should I use two layers that would give me 3" of total insulation. Will that make much of a difference?

Thanks for you help.

Re: Insblock 19 thickness question

I used that product and was able to get it in 4 inch thick pieces. Let the seems meet, I don't think you will lose any efficiency. Here is how I laid it out.

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

That INSBLOCK 19 is some pretty cool stuff. It?s very rigid and flat. I bought the 3" thick stuff, only because that's what Bill used in his oven and it stays hot for days. I'm right in the middle of my build, but think I would have been better off buying the 1" stuff for my particular build and just layered it up to 3" thickness. If you have the thinner stuff it?s easy to make thick, but if you have the thicker stuff it?s a bit harder to make it thin. Not too much price difference between the thicknesses either. The thicker stuff might be a tad cheaper; I paid ~$100 a box for the 3?. My 2 cents is go with whatever is cheaper to get the thickness you are designing to.

Kevin

PS: I was able to negotiate approx. 20% down from the original quote from the ANH salesperson. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

thanks for the tips, I plan on ordering today.

If I were to use a thermal break on the landing, does this go down into the insulation and how large a gap would you use? Is the gap at the entrance to the landing, or the entrance to the oven?

Comment

Working...
        X