My Brick Selection ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brick Selection ok?

Ok managed to get time start the build again.

just have pour the slab for oven and then build.

I have the following bircks already and want see if they will suit?

i got the red bricks for 50 euor and tapered furnace bricks for free.

i have 120 red brick and 55 fire bricks.

the fire bricks are left overes from a furnace re lining job in my last job and are very heavy bricks. just want see if they are ok to use

the red bricks came from old fire place and are the old handmade tyre brick. the only issue i have is the have a hollow section.

I plan use arched bricks for my tunnel donw, the red bricks for 3 block high side wall before the arch and on their face for the floor.

Re: My Brick Selection ok?

Those "free" bricks will work fine in many part of your build with the exception of the hearth floor (due to the taper direction), they may be super duty, similar to what I used in my build. If they are super duty (high alumina content) they are a little tough on saw blades. Can't comment of the others though.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

well white bricks are very heavy so i will be using them for arch.

i will have look into the red bricks now sure they will work

half tempted get one these

Italian Pizza Ovens Online store directly from manufacturer,

Comment

Maybe contact AMAC on the WFO forum, he is from Ireland and just finished his build last year. Maybe he can give you better info on what is available in your neck of the woods.
        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by john_aero View Post
          well white bricks are very heavy so i will be using them for arch.

i will have look into the red bricks now sure they will work

half tempted get one these

Italian Pizza Ovens Online store directly from manufacturer,
          All of the ovens on the site you linked have serious design issues. I would rethink them as a viable option.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            All of the ovens on the site you linked have serious design issues. I would rethink them as a viable option.

Chip
            do you mind if i ask what these are so i dont make same mistake?

i do see an aful lot of cement between joints and large door ope

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Maybe contact AMAC on the WFO forum, he is from Ireland and just finished his build last year. Maybe he can give you better info on what is available in your neck of the woods.
              cheers will go find him on here so

Comment

They don't have insulation under the hearth and little if any on the dome. The firebrick will take a long time to heat up, conversely they will hold that heat for a long time. The frogged brick should work OK, but the frog is going to be an issue. How do you plan on cutting them to use?

Comment

Cutting i have large and small geunders with diamond blades and also have lian consaw

Issue is i have enough tapered brick fir barrel style not a donr oven sadly

That means buy time buy materials it go wat over budget

There is pizza oven kit locally
                  Wood Fired Pizza Oven Kits

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    They don't have insulation under the hearth and little if any on the dome. The firebrick will take a long time to heat up, conversely they will hold that heat for a long time. The frogged brick should work OK, but the frog is going to be an issue. How do you plan on cutting them to use?
                    But i would be building a hearty so easy do insulated one and would be putting least 2-3in loose vermaculite around full oven

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      i was looking at the red frogged brick again. some of them are cracking and bit rought so not sure them would hold up to heath

was going lay them flat on side for floor, then as lay each down fill the frog section with vermaculite or other heat retaining or insulating material. then terracotta tiles on top these for cooking floor.

Dome i was going to split bricks with 9inch grinder and diamond blade.

Comment

Normally the side opposite the frog will be a scraped finish, i.e. pretty rough. Laid on their side and filled with non-insulating material would be better.

Comment

Using a grinder and a diamond wheel is an option but there is going to be a ton of dust. Fabby just recently did a build with snapped headers something you may want to consider if you do not have access to a wet saw. You can save the grinder and diamond wheel for the bricks that need more work than being snapped. Just a thought.
                          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-16-2013, 11:53 AM.
                          Russell

Comment

i will happily use a bolster and chisel. can get consaw too if want with hose attached but rather not as hevy to use on small bricks

if bolster and chisel works then i will use it for the bricks that are not seen

bricks with frog. fill with vermacrete or a high temp concrete like that used for bonding the dome bricks.

i was going lay red brick with the narrow side laying down so frog faces sideway. then tiles for smooth cooking floor.

also whats this???? looks like vermaculite premix. would this do as hearth and render for finish?

Comment

just spotted this on the pdf file for forno oven. this mean the fire bricks i have are prob not suitable?

High duty fire brick.
                              These brick have very high alumina content (60% or more),
                              get very hot (1500?C and up) and are designed for continual
                              high-heat applications, such as furnaces. They are
                              expensive, and will get too hot for cooking food. In general,
                              pizza wants heat between 750F and 900F, while bread and
                              roasts cooks best between 500F and 600F. (Note that brick
                              ovens are able to cook at higher temperatures without
                              burning because of the moist heat inside the oven and
                              shorter cooking times.)

Comment

Working...
                              X