Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for WFO Supplies in Florida

Hello All,

I live in Orlando, Fl and have been calling around trying to find the larger firebricks that a majority of the people on this forum are using for their build. I can only seem to find the 9x4x2-1/4. Plus, looking around for a retailer that carries Super Isol (calcium silicate insulating board). Trying to decide between vermiculite/concrete or just insulating board for under my cooking floor. People seem to be going with the insulating board.

So, could anyone provide some retailers in and around Orlando or in the State of Florida that carry the larger fire bricks and insulating board?

Thanks in advance!
    Greg

Re: Looking for WFO Supplies in Florida

Originally posted by gbcallaway View Post
    Hello All,

I live in Orlando, Fl and have been calling around trying to find the larger firebricks that a majority of the people on this forum are using for their build. I can only seem to find the 9x4x2-1/4. Plus, looking around for a retailer that carries Super Isol (calcium silicate insulating board). Trying to decide between vermiculite/concrete or just insulating board for under my cooking floor. People seem to be going with the insulating board.

So, could anyone provide some retailers in and around Orlando or in the State of Florida that carry the larger fire bricks and insulating board?

Thanks in advance!
    Greg
    Greg - Cemex on Forsythe has the smaller firebricks. They do not carry the full sized bricks, I tried to get them from Harwood bricks in Longwood as well and they were not able to get the full sized bricks. I just bought the smaller bricks.

I have had trouble locating CalSil board but did find a company in Tampa that makes foamglass and I am probably ordering some soon - they will sell 4 inch thick, 18 x 24 inch blocks for ~$90 a box - they claim it covers 15 sq/ft
    Last edited by MSoucy; 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling :)

Comment

MSoucy,

Yes sir, Linda from Cemex was very nice and helpful. Plus, they have the lowest price out of all the suppliers I called. I will most likely wind up buying some of my stuff from them (i.e. Heat Stop 50) but still shopping around.

I'm not familiar with the foamglass you mentioned. How is that compared to the calcium silicate board? Whats the name of the company that carries this product?

Thanks for responding and good luck with your build!

Greg

Comment

Greg,

Linda is a gem!

Just an FYI -I plan to make homebrew mortar - the HeatStop is a fortune - you will probably need about 3 bags of it

All the best,

Mike

Comment

MSoucy,

I'm not familiar with the foamglass you mentioned. How is that compared to the calcium silicate board? Whats the name of the company that carries this product?

Greg
          Foamglass is a rigid spun glass board - it's not widely used in WFO construction, but a few members have used it with great results. I'll look up the name of the manufacturer when I get home from work.

Comment

Foamglass is manufactured at :
            Atlantech Distribution, Inc.
            3919 East 7th Ave
            Tampa, Florida 33605
            (813) 248-1777

two other places i found were:

Atlantic Firebrick & Supply Co., Inc.
            550 Martin Luther King Jr Drive,
            Baldwin, FL 32234
            and
            BAY INSULATION OF FLORIDA
            1075 GILLS DRIVE SUITE 700
            32824 ORLANDO, FL
            (407) 438-1288

Comment

Mike,

I called Atl-FB the other day. I think their prices were almost double to that of Cemex. I did find Ceramic fiber board (2" x 35" x 24") for about $105 delivered on EBay - plus ceramic blanket.
              I will check out the foamglas.

Thanks!

-Greg

Comment

Mike,

I called Atl-FB the other day. I think their prices were almost double to that of Cemex. I did find Ceramic fiber board (2" x 35" x 24") for about $105 delivered on EBay - plus ceramic blanket.
                I will check out the foamglas.

Thanks!

-Greg
                Hello All,

Thanks in advance!
                Greg
                Greg, Mike,
                Welcome to the forum, glad to have you all aboard. Look forward to following your builds.
                I found the larger fire brick at Plibrico company in Bartow Fl 863-519-5044 Ask for Dale or Larry they say many have purchased materials for there WFO’s. The bricks were $2.50 each twice what I expected. But I want to use materials as close to those found in the Pompeii Oven Kit, sold by FB. Careful what you call the insulating board. I understand that ceramic fiber will compress to nearly nothing. I chose to purchase FB board. Again I wanted to make sure to use the proven materials. I was finding a lot of confusion in the materials names and price was very expensive I thought the FB Board was a good deal. Even after discovering its pit falls as explained in my build.

Hope this helps
                Last edited by kbartman; 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

KB,

Thanks for the warm welcome. For sure, I will be contacting the boys in Bartow. Thanks for the info. I will keep in mind what you said bout the fiber board I found on eBay. I have hopes of at least having my slab down by the end of summer along with the pavers my wife wants me to put down for our back patio. So, it's safe to say that I still have some time to do some research for the rest of my supplies. Thanks again KB and happy baking.

-Greg

Comment

KB,

P.S. Do you have Pics of your build? What were the dimensions of your build as well?

Thanks,
                    Greg

Comment

KB,

P.S. Do you have Pics of your build? What were the dimensions of your build as well?

Thanks,
                      Greg
                      Click on my build at the bottom and you can read about and follow my progress. I am posting about my foundation here: click here. I will try to post some dimensions.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Guys -

I found the ThermoGold-12 (rated 1200 degrees) calsil board at Atlantech in Tampa - It was very reasonably priced - I got a box of 9 sheets, 2" x 12" x 36" delivered to my office for $95

There are a couple of other builds on the forums here that use the ThermoGold-12 and have had great results - at that price I opted to buy enough to use 4 inches as my base.

Comment

Originally posted by MSoucy View Post
                          Guys -

I found the ThermoGold-12 (rated 1200 degrees) calsil board at Atlantech in Tampa - It was very reasonably priced - I got a box of 9 sheets, 2" x 12" x 36" delivered to my office for $95

There are a couple of other builds on the forums here that use the ThermoGold-12 and have had great results - at that price I opted to buy enough to use 4 inches as my base.
                          Wow $95 that's great I should have done more research. Glad Greg started the thread will have WFO?s all over the state, built on budget. Where were you guys in March?

Good researching.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I was fishing in March...LOL

Comment

What type of fishing do ya do? I need a break soon. My boat is getting cobbwebs and her, I think she knows I'm having a affair with my new Gal.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                              Put my Gal to bed for curing till I have more time to continue.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                              X