Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireclay in Europe (DK)

Hello All,
    I really want to be using the homebrew mortar for my oven and I've been searching like a mad man for fireclay, but so far I haven't been able to find anything which matches the description of fireclay. I find this strange because when I read through old threads on this forum, I often see people mention that fireclay is used widely in construction here in Europe (I'm from Denmark btw).

Can anyone prehaps tell me the name of one of the major brands here in Europe? Perhaps I can then find it by searching for the brand instead of the term "fire clay".

If everything fails and I can't find fireclay is the anything I can use instead?
    Sand, portland, lime and ...?

Re: Fireclay in Europe (DK)

Gudday
    The fireclay component of the home brew is to make the mortar sticky and plastic. Since our ovens don't get to the temperatures were the refractory nature of fireclay is required you can substitute powdered clay made for masonry use. Often you can find " bricklayers sand " with the clay already added.
    Hopes this will help you widen you search
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

it might be called "Mortar Clay"

Comment

Thanks for your answers guys and sorry for my late reply. I've been pretty occupied with work lately.

Someone mentioned to me that fire clay properly is the same as Chamotte. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Chamotte also seems to be called Grog in English: Grog (clay) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

A true fireclay as used by potters or refractory manufacturers is a highly refractory unfired clay (able to withstand very high temps).
          Chamotte (grog) is fired to around 1000C and then ground. It will not break down to the extremely small particles like unfired clay will. Another advantage is that it is already shrunk so can reduce overall shrinkage if added to a clay body. There is all kinds of grog, ground to different grades. Potters use it to add to clay bodies for different purposes in their production.
          The fireclay bricklayers use is not a specially refractory clay like a true fireclay (at least that is the situation in Australia), it is a powdered clay quite high in silica (the glass former)
          Because we do not fire to extreme temperatures I think any unfired powdered clay should be ok. Bricklayers clay, which is the cheapest, is what I use.
          Sorry about the longwinded reply, but there is considerable confusion about fireclay, hope this helps.
          Last edited by david s; 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X