Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium Duty Fire Bricks and Steel Studs

Hello,
    I'm having problems finding Medium Duty Firebricks in Boise, Idaho. It seems I can get low duty easy enough, but would love to get the ideal brick. I have a 1/2 tonne truck, but don't want to drive a pallet of bicks over the mountain passes between the cities within 6 hours. I'm thinking Salt Lake City may be the closest city I've found so far that has these bricks.

I also can't find the steel/metal studs and gabled roof made out of metal at my local home depot or Lowes.

Thanks,
    John

Re: Medium Duty Fire Bricks and Steel Studs

Gudday John
    I have built mine oven with lite duty bricks and three yrs later I find they perform well. I know the plans say med duty if possible but 27 to 29 per cent are good enough to give you a good heat bank. Invest you time and efforts in good insulation...... That will pay you back.
    As for the rest , get them to order it in , check the prices else ware with the same Co and insist they match it.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave. That makes me feel better 'cause I am flat out committed now. My table is almost ready to pour.

Comment

If you are after authentic neapolitan pizza many have actually found the medium duty bricks to be a negative. Their higher thermal conductivity can make it difficult to achieve a proper balance of heat.

Comment

John,

I am from Salt Lake and I build my oven out of new but surplus super high duty fire brick from a now defunt steel mill in Orem Ut. You can pick these bricks up for 0.50 each but they are all tapered and very hard on saw blades. Go to KSL classified and look under refractory brick if you are interested.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm thinking instead of driving just to go with low duty and really insulate well. It's a 42" build so I'm thinking the 2" fb board below the bricks and 3 rolls of blankets and some mineral wool batts around the blanket.

Comment

Hi All,
              I found some fire brick rated at least 2000 deg after talking to the manufacturer ("Mutual Material"). They said it was 16 % Alumina and cost 2.88 each. Do you think this will suffice?
              Thanks,
              John

Comment

I used the mutual materials bricks. They will work fine. thought they were cheaper than that!

As for getting heavier gauge steel studs, go to a pro-builder outlet like BMC west. they're hq'd in boise, you must have plenty
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks deejayoh, I found the 20 gauge steel studs and tracks coming in 10 ft lengths. I don't know how to build that part yet or what other parts I need, but I figure buying a metal cutting blade for my chop saw and going from there. Just not sure how to build the truss and how far apart each stud and how to connect everything. I've got some nice Adequous stone (not sure of sp) to decorate the roof and maybe below the oven where surrounding the firewood enclosure. I thought I would use a stone veneer to surround the steel stud walls.

Comment

yep, sounds like the studs I used. For the roof, check out Dino pizza's build album. I learned the hard way (e.g. through rework) how to do it.
                    https://plus.google.com/photos/11326...721?banner=pwa
                    My build progress

Comment

Wow that is a great example of the details of the steel gable. Thank you. I just got my first batch of fire brick and they were 1.88 so I messed up. Out of 120 bricks, I think I found at least 70 that had a side perfect for the floor so I'm happy. I'm pouring the table top on Sunday and looking forward to starting the floor.

Comment

Oh by the way, do you know of a good example or resource to where and how to build the vent/arch/dome connection and in what order to do that in? Thank you.

Comment

Lots of great examples of this on the forum. I suggest John's octoforno build to start
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post111125

Also probably Russell's utah beehive, and Karanga dude's oven.
                          My build progress

Comment

After seeing that build and the detail of how he shaped the bricks, it all makes sense. Thanks

Comment

Hey, I'm here in Utah but I get no hits on "refractory brick" on KSL or in google. Were these private parties or businesses selling the Geneva brick?

TIA

Comment

Working...
                              X