Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dolomitic hydrated spray lime???

hey guys

i have been a member here for a couple of years now and can't say enough good things about the help that people receive ....thank you!

im building a 36" oven in stirling ontario canada and im having some difficulty finding lime for the "home brew" mix for the dome mortar. i have attatched a photo of about the only lime i seam to be able to find and i'm wondering if anyone can help and tell me if this is type s or n or if this could be used at all???

i appreciate your time and thank you!

ryan
    houseofparliament@hotmail.com

Re: dolomitic hydrated spray lime???

Originally posted by houseofparliament View Post
    hey guys

i have been a member here for a couple of years now and can't say enough good things about the help that people receive ....thank you!

im building a 36" oven in stirling ontario canada and im having some difficulty finding lime for the "home brew" mix for the dome mortar. i have attatched a photo of about the only lime i seam to be able to find and i'm wondering if anyone can help and tell me if this is type s or n or if this could be used at all???

i appreciate your time and thank you!

ryan
    Dolomitic has a higher magnesium carbonate percentage than other limestone. You can build with it but..............

There is a good chance that what you have is type N...and you need to soak it to achieve hydration for workability. Did you buy it at a nursery or Agriculture supply?
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

It does say hydrated spray lime though. It could be Type S too...finer particle size for spray applications (AG). It should work fine for building.

EDIT: Just found this..Whitewash Applications | Lime in Building Construction

You should be good.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

I thought dolomite limes were hydraulic?

Comment

Ah stone cutter... Thank you for the reply! I have read many of your posts and have found them very useful. I will contact the company tomorrow and find out directly if it is type s or n and get back to you. Yes.. I bought it at a co-op farm supply.. The guy said that farmers use it on the barn floors to " soak up the moisture"

I will stay in touch and thanks Again for the reply!!!

Comment

Never mind, I read the lit, it is fine for normal Type S lime use.

Comment

...and tscarborough...thank you. i will try it out and update the thread for others in my area that would likelt be looking at the same product.

thanks guys!

parly

Comment

Originally posted by houseofparliament View Post

...and tscarborough...thank you. i will try it out and update the thread for others in my area that would likelt be looking at the same product.

thanks guys!

parly
                So just to verify after all of these years, any issues with dolomitic hydrated spray lime?

Comment

Working...
                X