Used bricks from furnace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used bricks from furnace?

Hi. I've been reading about 20 hours of info from you guys for weeks now. Great info and once my patio and outdoor kitchen are done I will be starting my 36" oven.
    I found a guy selling firebricks that he reclaimed from furnaces. He wasn't sure if they were medium or heavy duty. He wants $0.50 per brick.

Will those work or should I get something that I know is medium duty?
    I am looking for quicker heat up times.

Thanks!
    Rob

Re: Used bricks from furnace?

The other option is my local masonry supplier. He has 8.5"x4.5"x2.5" medium duty for $1.50.

I was also thinking of doing the 3:1:1:1 as a castable to save time.

Almost too many choices and I'm not sure what's best. I do have 10" HF saw. Will probably need a new blade once I'm done with the patio install.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

There was a guy on craigslist in Canaan, Ct about 3 weeks ago who had a couple thousand mixed super duty and medium duty fire brick that came out of the old kilns at specialty mineral (Pfizer). I bought 180 of them for $40. I don't see his ad to day but I can take ride by tomorrow if you have any interest.
      Paul

Comment

You might want to ask the question in the building the oven section. You will get better response there. As per casting. Look at Mikku's or Iron Pony's thread, both were cast ovens.

With regards to used furnace bricks, price is great but you have to do a little due diligence, how were the furnaces fueled, what did they heat, need to worry about contaminants. In the scheme of things the buck fifty brick is not deal killer.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

They are most likely high duty firebrick as that is what is generally used in commercial settings. They will work, but I would at least make the floor out of low duty firebrick.

Comment

Sounds like it's not worth it then. If I can get 4 out of the 8" brick I'm only saving $.50. I think I'd rather get new.
            Thanks for the help. Still learning.
            Paid $28 for 2 large cheese only pizzas last night for kids party. Can't wait to get this done!

Comment

Originally posted by pemer View Post
              There was a guy on craigslist in Canaan, Ct about 3 weeks ago who had a couple thousand mixed super duty and medium duty fire brick that came out of the old kilns at specialty mineral (Pfizer). I bought 180 of them for $40. I don't see his ad to day but I can take ride by tomorrow if you have any interest.
              Paul
              That would be great thanks! Very much appreciated.

Rob

Comment

I will take a ride over there in the morning to see what he has left. Tscarborough's suggestion of using new medium duty for the floor is an excellent one as the floor of the oven appears to need to be as flat and smooth as possible. I followed his suggestion and purchased them today. I was able to get them for $1.15 each @ B and B Mason Supply
                110 Housatonic Avenue New Milford, CT 06776 US
                Phone: 860-355-1571
                Paul

Comment

Robl

I pm you with the contact information for the guy with the fire brick in Canaan
                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X