Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use this board for the Hearth?

Hello,

I am wondering if I can use this board from McGills Warehouse as the Insulation part for the hearth instead of the vermiculite.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,

Do I only need one case of the 2 foot by 3 foot boards? (One case seems to be 3 of these boards for $97).

Thanks so much for your help!

Jon

Re: Can I use this board for the Hearth?

Jon

those boards look good to me. If you only buy one case you will have a base that is 2 inches thick which is probably fine. Good luck!

Comment

Have you done a "refractory materials" search in Calgary? I did a quick one and at least a couple place popped up, one was a ANH supplier which is a large one here in the states. Might be less expensive than shipping from Calf.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

For less than $93 plus shipping I would think you can source vermiculite and portland locally. A 4" of 5-1 vermiculite/portland cement mix will provide the same amount of insulation as 2" of CF board.

For what its worth, I bought my CF blanket from McGills and honestly, it was the dirtiest, creepiest retail establishment I have ever dealt with, ever. If there were dead bodies hidden in the corners of their dark 'warehouse' I would not be surprised. I felt strangely fortunate to escape out of there with my life.The refractories McGills sells are admittedly not high quality, but they do work.

Comment

Those are low density fiber boards . I purchase allot of refractory from them. I have used that fiberboard in one of the kilns I build for my shop.
          it is not very strong as it is low density kind of soft and spongy
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X