Keyed Firebrick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyed Firebrick?

So I have recently sourced some supplies to start on an oven. The brick that I got is unused brick from lime kilns. It is non-insulative brick, and very heavy. The only thing is, is that it is keyed. I will post pictures and exact measurements in the morning, but I believe that they were about 5 (tapered to about 3.5-4")"x8"x4". I am still reading through all the construction directions, but I know I will have to cut the bricks. Will I be able to use the bricks for the dome, or will them being keyed cause trouble?

Re: Keyed Firebrick?

You may well find that being tapered will help not hinder; most of the cutting referred to by dome builders is to produce the taper
    Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

The shape isn't a problem but the high conductivity might be.....that and you are going to wear out a couple diamond blades.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

My guess, like SC says the bricks may very well be super duty. I believe Gulf had some bricks from a lime kiln, mine were from a steel mill kiln they are typically high in alumina, ie 50-60% which makes them very dense. Yes you will wear out some blades but if the price is right I see no issue. Mine were also tapered too. You can look at the picassa thread and see some pics. I'm from SLC but get to So. Utah periodically. Yell if you need some advice.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The lime kiln brick that I have, are a 60 plus alumina content. I used mine for retainer walls. You don't want to use them for any purpose that requires them to be cut .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X