Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slabs - Anybody use beam & block?

Hi all,

First post here - Sorry if it's in the wrong section!

It's early days for my oven, though I've downloaded & read the plans e-book from FB. Can't wait! I have a construction background (QS) and so can't wait to get stuck in to the project. When reading the book it's obvious that a lot of the techniques and materials used are based on US building supplies, some of which are pretty hard (or expensive) to get a hold of in the UK these days (concrete blocks w/holes in, for example).

The plan is a corner outdoor kitchen with worksurface, grill and FB oven in the corner. I'll be knocking up a Sketchup model in the next few days, including 3D texture rendering to get an idea of how it's going to look for the Mrs (she's concerned over the size of the oven). I'll upload a copy when it's ready.

So far, a couple of design queries:
    • I'd like to keep the glorous 'igloo' shape on the oven rather than build a roof over it. My first thoughts were to insulate with a good few inches of fireproof wool (held down with scrim) and then to render with a cream textured finish over the top, but I don't know how silicone render deals with heat, nor do I know if it's porous enough for the insulation to get wet. Any ideas?
    • My garden has terrible access, so bad that I can't get a mixer in or even a wheel barrow. I'd also like to avoid mixing too much concrete, if at all possible (she won't allow me to make too much mess). My idea was to get some beam & block flooring (beam off cuts & 7N blocks) from work for the base/log store slab, then another b&b floor at 900mm to sit the actual oven on. Anyone done this/have any comments on the strength/weight of the oven on top? Obviously it'd have to take the oven floor, insulation (possible screed?), fire brick floor and then the weight of the 'igloo'.

I'm sure there'll be many more queries as the project progresses, wish me luck!

Thanks.

Re: Slabs - Anybody use beam & block?

Mr. R,

There have been several UK builds where they used local materials, ie heater tiles for the floor, solid reds or blues for the dome. The FB plans are a good baseline but a little dated. A lot of improvement have been developed since then. Use the Forum for guidance. Here is a link of some of the more documented builds.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...tml#post105517

Also check out Bookemdano's thread, he could be a good source for local materials.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated.

I'll have a good browse around.

Comment

Hi there I'm also in the uk hull england I'm in the middle of my build at the moment and have sourced all materials needed very easy even mobile friendly sites that just use a checkout and PayPal! Any help you need with materials please don't hesitate to ask il help as much as I can. As for the block and beam I'm also in the industry and laid many of these floor styles they would defiantly take the weight of the oven and make for a fast slab cure free you would just need a brick skin around the outside just like a house really to cloak off the ends then maybe a slury mix over the top then your insulation board I and the hollow blocks are a cheap stock item at all jewsons stores hope this helps lee
        link to my effort http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/7...art-20707.html

"95% reading this forum 5% building"

Comment

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply - I'll look into getting some b&b, after I've done the Sketchup models. I'll have a read at your thread too, Hull isn't far from me (Barnsley).

7 years?! Blimey! What's your construction background? As a QS I can likely lay my hands on things very cheaply and have all the right contacts but actually using my hands is likely to be a challenge!

Comment

A fellow Yorkshire Man! Yes I had to wait 7 years to start my build I joined here back in 2007 after reading and realising how much work went into these ovens I new I would move house as it was my first place so I sited until now I moved house this January il be here for at least 20 years so my hard work will stay with me for a while. My background is Groundworks and paving all civills really family business I love the job been at it since I was 17 so worked with a few qs's in my time

Comment

I gathered it might have been groundworks when I saw the mini digger on your photos and you said you'd laid beam & block (I won't ask the company name, might break the rules)...

On page 7 of your thread now! Looking great, though I'm starting to wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew, given that I've never laid a brick in my life!

EDIT: Your build is almost identical to what I've got in mind - a corner stand with areas to either side.
              Last edited by mr_rodge; 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Ah yes the digger is a giveaway only a micro but all I could fit down the side of my house anything is better than shovel! Where only a small company so you prob not heard of us anyway worked for a few of the big boys though like Balfour, Humberside aggregates, Spencer's etc. most people here have never had any form of brick laying background just like you but they all surprise them selfs I can tell you that after 7 years of reading this forum there are so many great and in depth threads on here to guide you through and all the help you could ever need from past and present builders on here everyone is so helpful I'm sure you will be fine just do plenty of research before you start. A corner build worked for my garden I'm going for polished concrete tops for the counters with a fireplace / bbq too the right of the oven all under cover

Comment

Working...
                X