Thermo-12 Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermo-12 Gold

Having built the stand and a 3.5" concrete stand top, we are looking to start on the actual oven. We have found a source of Thermo-12 gold, 2" thick and were thinking of putting down two layers to make it 4" insulation. My concern is this; when looking on the Forno Bravo website, their board goes up to 1200C, about 2300F, the thermo 12 goes up to 1200f, about 650c. Will the Thermo 12 do the job? Thanks for your help.

Re: Thermo-12 Gold

Keep in mind that the material's ability to withstand certain temperatures, and the insulation value are two different properties. I think you will be fine with a material rated at 1200 degrees under the floor. I imagine that this is a calsil board type product. If so, you may want to research calsil board here in the forum.

I know lots of folks have used calsil - and I believe some prefer it because you do not have to protect it from rain/water during the construction phase as you do with ceramic board. However, the calsil may or may provide the same insulating properties as ceramic - depending on thickness.
    Last edited by edsiajb; 02-11-2015, 07:42 AM.

Comment

i think the temp rating is fine. I would check the compression strength since this is indicated as pipe insulation. if you are using this to support the floor and dome, definitely check if it can stand the weight of all that and remain stable.

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks. I must be honest, not too good at all of the technicals here. I think I got the idea of the CalSIl board from a forum. The website gives the thec specs as follows ASTM C165 Compressive Strength >100psi(690kPa)
        5% compression
        ASTM C203 Flexural Strength >50psi(450kPa)
        ASTM C302 Density (Dry) Average >14pcf(230kg/m3

Do you think that this will be strong enough? We will be doing a 39' Pompei.

Thanks for your help

Comment

The compression strength of the FB board is .5 Mpa. The conversion to Psi is an equivalent of 72.5 psi = .5Mpa FB board density is 19 pcf and a lot higher temp rating.

Your product as you stated is rated to 100 psi- 5% compression and a density of 14 pcf. The 12 gold is less dense, lower heat rating and an indicated 5% compression. My concern is the 5% compression, but i just dont know for sure to tell you that you would have no concern. I am not sure the price of the Thermo 12, but i wouldn't want to save a buck only to regret it after building a dome on it.

You should get some other members on the forum that will respond to hopefully give you some definite answer. I would suggest go with a proven product that you wont have to wonder about.

Texman
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thermogold-12 is just a proprietary Cal-Sil with corrosion inhibitors added, it would work well for an oven. Even better is generic Cal-Sil board without the corrosion inhibitors that will run about half the cost and has double the insulating ability.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. What made it attractive was that we could get it within driving distance, and move forward this weekend, but we did get a bit concerned about the strength. I may check the shipping times from Forno Bravo, and will also see if I can get any denser Calsil locally.... Just hate to pay a fortune shipping something across the country. Thanks for the help and advice though

Comment

Did you go with the Thermo Gold in the end? If so how was it?

Regards

Toby

Comment

Working...
                X