Looking for fire bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for fire bricks

I am finally getting ready to build my oven and have started looking for fire brick. The one place I have found them so far has bricks that are 48% alumni and cost $2.20. Is that too high of a percentage and how is it for a price. I am just outside Minneapolis Mn. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Re: Looking for fire bricks

That sounds like a medium-duty brick; they're a little harder to cut, and they may transfer heat a little more quickly (as a deck) than the light-duty brick at ~28% alumina. I would say it's a good price for medium-duty... pricing varies a *lot* by region, because shipping can be such a large part of the cost. Some places are under a dollar, some are $6-7 per.

Comment

Ok thanks it sound like they might be good for use on the dome, but maby not so good for the cooking floor. I will keep looking and see what else I can find.

Randy

Comment

I just found out that my father in law has a few friends that just retired from a company that does boiler repair and might be able to get me a deal. My fingers are crossed.

Randy

Comment

Hey Randy,

Read through Chip's excellent build for local firebricks. He's just around the corner from you.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ota-16394.html

John

Comment

Thanks yes I reread through chips blog. It is very good. I found some more with 30.78%alumni for $3.10 sI I will get enough to do the floor,and the others for the dome. Thanks for the help

Comment

Well I tried to get my floor bricks today. But forgot most landscape places in Minnesota are still on winter hours and not open on weekends. I guess I will have to go after work this week.

Randy

Comment

Working...
              X