Chipped/Crumbly firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped/Crumbly firebrick

Found 35 bricks on a local Craigslist ad. $1/ea but they are somewhat crumbly and have chipped in certain spots.

Leave em or get em? I don't know how brittle they typically are.

Figured I could use them to get my jigs set and for small wedges and use brand new brick for construction.

Or can I place the cut side of brick on the inside of the dome?

Thanks!
    "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Re: Chipped/Crumbly firebrick

what size oven are you building? you can use the bricks if you are confident they are firebrick but you will need aprox. 150+ for a 36" oven. So you will be mixing bricks that may not be the same quality/alumina content. That could cause some issues later when fired if the bricks are not somewhat similar in composition. This is a lot of work and time. Is it worth the risk?

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

If they are crumbly and chipped the may be insulating firebricks which are not particularly strong and do chip and crumble easily. Also they are not suitable for the oven proper. They should be dense and heavy not really light.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

They are heavy and dense, although white. Maybe they are waterlogged (?).

Oven is a 36". I wouldn't mix bricks in the dome. I figured I could use them to set my jigs and for wedges, or use them around the vent/landing.

Maybe I'll pass on them.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Hey, I'm cyberstalking just a bit, but I came across your thread. Chipped and crumbly is probably the best description for any used low duty firebrick. I would buy them up and you will find plenty of places to use them. When your trying to make the cuts above the inner arch and you throw the first few away cause they don't fit, you can start practicing with the cheap ones until you find a pattern that works.

If you have to drive to Indy to get them, then don't bother. If you really don't want them, let me know. I am always on the hunt for cheap firebrick.
          The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Hey brother, they were in Brookston and I did pick them up.

I figured I could make use of them somehow.

however, as they are drying, they are getting much lighter. Maybe they are insulating brick?

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

If they are full size 4.5" X 9" X 2.25 they should feel significantly heavier than a regular brick.
              The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
              X