Chimney pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney pipe?

Just starting my build of a 36" oven. Thinking ahead to the chimney. Is it possible/advisable to simply use black stove pipe and a cap? My oven will be enclosed with a gable roof. My next choice would be clay, also the roofing material is going to be clay Spanish tiles..

Is rust/corrosion the concern or just that it would get to hot?
    Also how hot would it get when the pipe is ahead of the oven?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Chimney pipe?

Sure you can get away with just using black stove pipe. However, you will want to consider that you will need a way to check on its condition as well as a way to replace it, for it will need replacing more frequently than several other types.

I am not familiar with regulations in Canada but it may be worth while to check on codes regarding material pipes can and cannot be made from as well as acceptable construction clearances etc.

Many years ago when I was in UK I had a friend who made his living selling stove pipe. Stove pipe is very regulated in the UK. The clip together thin sheet steel pipe as commonly found in the US was not legal or available. Pipe had to welded together and double enameled. Meaning ground coat inside and ground coat and usually a color coat on the outside. This made pipe quite expensive, hence the opening for someone to make their living selling pipe. Note that while expensive it was made to last for a very very long time.

Here in the US one can find stainless as well as black and galvanized stove pipe. The enameled stuff can be found in shops that sell wood stoves. Since your pipe will for the most part be enclosed I personally would want to have something that required little maintenance. While it (like electrical stuff like switches) may be "out of code" if second hand you might find a good deal at a second hand shop. The pipe I used in my WFO came from such a source.

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I'll likely go with a peice of stainless pipe so I don't have to worry as much in regard to checking it for deterioration. Thanks again

Comment

My chimney is the double wall SS pipe because it goes through the breezeway roof.
        The chimney can get very hot when the oven is burning. Sometimes you may get flames licking up the chimney. These ovens seem to breath very well and the fire can get larger than intended easily.

David

Comment

Working...
        X