Rigidizer for blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigidizer for blanket?

The supplier I found for ceramic fibre blanket and board suggests using Kaowool Rigidizer to seal the cf layer preventing fibres from escaping into the food. Since the insulating layers will be separated from the cooking area by brick I am not worrying about that. However I am wondering if this would be a good product to use to seal the blanket before putting stucco on. We want to have a mortared stone finish, not planning any enclosure.

http://www.morganthermalceramics.com...krigidizer.pdf

Any thoughts?

Re: Rigidizer for blanket?

This is a pretty good idea. About six years ago I investigated this as a possibility, but when I investigated it further, found that the stuff was carcinogenic, so I bypassed it.
    I've just checked the MSDS on this product and it seems safe. A 10 L bucket is a fair bit to buy. How expensive is the stuff. They may be trying to sell you something to increase sales. May not be worth the expense.

http://lynnmfg.com/wp-content/themes...SDS-TC-205.pdf

I prefer to use a layer of vermicrete over the blanket to get a firm surface and also to even out the bumps and lumps the blanket creates from joins and folds. I presume you are worrying about the blanket sucking moisture from the stucco layer as well. Don't know if the rigidizer will prevent this. I usually don't bother sealing the vermicrete layer before applying the stucco, but I do wrap the whole thing in clingvwrap to hold in the moisture in the stucco layer for a week, works pretty well.
    Last edited by david s; 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks

Its$130 for 5 gallons which I thought is probably an excessive amount.

I think I am just abit gunshy about the vermicrete being pretty ignorant and inexperienced with anything to do with concrete. - I was thinking that a bucket of stuff all mixed up would be easier to deal with. I talked to DH about it yesterday, and he has no concerns about mixing that up, so I think that is the plan here now.

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rinrat86 View Post
        Thanks

Its$130 for 5 gallons which I thought is probably an excessive amount.

I think I am just abit gunshy about the vermicrete being pretty ignorant and inexperienced with anything to do with concrete. - I was thinking that a bucket of stuff all mixed up would be easier to deal with. I talked to DH about it yesterday, and he has no concerns about mixing that up, so I think that is the plan here now.

Rose
        I purchased rigidizer turns out to be water glass ,it did not make the ceramic wool all that rigid and requires high temp in the first firing to go rigid, so not much help on the outside before the vermiculite

Save your money

Comment

To say nothing of reducing the efficiency of the blanket.

Comment

Yes things you learn too late

Comment

Acrylic admix/Portland cement slurry.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                I purchased rigidizer turns out to be water glass ,it did not make the ceramic wool all that rigid and requires high temp in the first firing to go rigid, so not much help on the outside before the vermiculite

Save your money
                It is sort of like, which came first, the chicken or the egg . But, once you have your WFO, that fine gray ash (at least from hardwood), can be used in a process to make water glass. And, a bottle of CO2 can harden it without the heat .
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great info. Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                  X