Homebrew with refactory cement rather than portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew with refactory cement rather than portland

If the concern with Homebrew is the portland burning away, could you not replace it with refectory cement? It seems like the proportions would make that a cheaper option than refractory mortar.

Would it work? Has anyone tried it?

Cheers

Toby

Re: Homebrew with refactory cement rather than portland

Refractory cement is not commonly available, it is normally sold with aggregate making it refractory mortar, but yes you could.

Comment

But the difference is that refractory cement is about 50 bucks a bag and you'd only need one whereas if you buy the mortar in bags you'd need at least 3. So a homebrew with refractory cement seems to be better value than refractory mortar.

Do we think that the usual mixture of 1311 but with refractory cement would work as well? or would the lime do strange things to the refractory cement?

Incidentally how much water do you guys add to the homebrew mixture ?

Cheers

Toby

Comment

Water is added to reach the desired plasticity. Creamy peanut butter would be the best description I could think of. If it doesn't squish out between the brick when you push the brick together, then the mortar is too dry or the brick are sucking up the moisture too fast. Adding a bit of water to the mortar or the brick is a very simple solution.

With regards to eliminating the portland, remember that it adds a quick set component to the mixture allowing the builder to continue to install chain after chain. Yes it looses its strength once the fires start, but by then the lime and fireclay have taken over the strength component and the portland essentially becomes aggregate.

I don't know how you could hope to be cheaper than sand, lime, portland, and fireclay. I have samples in service for almost 10 years of daily use in the winter that show no signs of decay. I am probably not going to start changing an effective system any time soon.
        The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

I'm clearly over thinking it. Straight homebrew it is.

Thanks so much everyone.

Toby

Comment

There is a problem with combining calcium aluminate cement with lime because it makes the brew set faster than the already fast set of the calcium aluminate cement. In hot weather you need to use chilled water to slow the stuff up from premature "going off". You could try leaving out the lime from the brew.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X