Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MoFlint bricks from a boiler for a pizza oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoFlint bricks from a boiler for a pizza oven?

I found these used bricks at a fraction of the price of new firebricks(170 for $100), but I'm not sure if they would work for a WFO. All the seller knows is that they say "Mo Flint" on them, and where used in a boiler(not even sure what this is) from the 1940's.

Would these work well, or am I better off buying new ones at 2.20 each? If they do I would probably get new ones for the cooking floor and use these for the dome.
    Thanks
    --->My Build<---
    --->My Album<---

Did some more google research, and finally found a little help, right here from Forno Bravo: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ing-firebricks

That thread makes it sound like they are High Duty fire brick. standard 9x4.5x2.5 size. Does that mean I'm better off spending 3+ times as much for new ones?
    --->My Build<---
    --->My Album<---

Comment

Two issues, first, what residuals could there be on used brick, IE bad Chem residual or heavy metals, second, high duty brick means high alumina which means really hard to cut and take their toll on blades. I did a oven with high alumina brick and went through a dozen blades, however, if you minimize taper and bevel cuts then this may not be as big an issue. Check ksl classifieds I saw a pallet of new fire brick for $150 the other day.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I called on those, then while arranging transportation they sold, should have made the offer right away.
        Thanks though, I guess I will just hold off, and keep checking KSL till i have no choice to buy them new.
        Thanks!
        --->My Build<---
        --->My Album<---

Comment

do not take bricks from boilers they become radio-active from the high heating and cooling as does the metal

Comment

do not take bricks from boilers as they become radio active from the high heat as does the metal on the boiler

Comment

Originally posted by jeff loves mastiffs View Post
              do not take bricks from boilers they become radio-active from the high heating and cooling as does the metal
              It is possible that refractory bricks may contain some radioactivity from the raw materials mined prior to their production, just as a concrete wall or aggregate in road making may give a small radioactive reading. As you have no idea of the amount of radioactivity in the mined materials this will vary depending on where they came from. In addition there may be some radioactive materials in mined coal that end up in the fly ash after combustion. However this is also true of cement which often contains some fly ash in its manufacture.
              Here is some more on the topic
              http://www.iem-inc.com/information/r...fractory-brick
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
              X