Off Topic: Need Soft Insulating Firebrick (the wrong kind for pizza) in TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: Need Soft Insulating Firebrick (the wrong kind for pizza) in TX

I havent been here in a couple years as my pizza oven is working great --- thanks for all the help at the time!!!

I'm starting a new project: an aluminum/bras/coper melting electric furnace/foundry, for hobby purposes. Unlike the pizza oven, I *need* soft light weight insulating firebricks, e.g. 9" x 4.5" x 3" insulating straights, rated up to 2300 F or higher. I can find them on ebay but the shipping is outrageous ($5 brick, $15 shipping, EACH).

Anyone know where I can source these, the WRONG type for pizza, in the Austin / Central Texas region?

Thanks!
    Pfennig The Cat

Most refractory suppliers will have insulating fire brick (IFB)but Distribution International in San Antonio certainly does. IFB cost substantially more than regular fire brick so $5 a piece is not too far out of retail pricing. I would look on Craigs list or newspaper classifieds as well. Maybe look for an old electric kiln, they typically use IFBs.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

As Russell alluded to, think pottery... Call around to suppliers for people who work with clay...I know that those suppliers have kiln shelves and all sorts of materials like the insulating bricks that might be perfect for you. Good luck!
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

How many do you need, I have five cases (12 per case) in stock and I have to go back to supplier soon for some other stuff. I don't know for sure what shipping is, but the boxes are light. I got them from Harbison Walker and they have two offices in Texas. Dallas and Houston. The brick I have are called Greentherm 23 LI and I recall them being fairly inexpensive, perhaps less than 2 bucks a brick. Its been a while. Same size as firebrick, just light and airy.
        The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
        X