Bricks for base of oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks for base of oven

Hi all, At this stage im just looking to purchase materials over the next few weeks / months whilst I finish another project (deck and pergola).

I have the opportunity to buy a heap of hollowed house bricks cheap 750 for $75. Would house bricks have enough strength to hold a pizza oven?

I was origionally planning on using besser blocks but the cheapest I can find them atm is $5 each which would end up being quite costly.

Adam,

Welcome to the forum. That's a great find on the brick. Most house brick would make an excelent stand for a WFO if they were laid as a double wall. Do you have a pic of the brick ?
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf, i ended up opting out and decided to go lesser blocks.

Finding it hard to source products in Adelaide so far but getting there slowly. How much fire blanket insulation are people finding they need? I also have found a roll that was purchased by another builder - he used 2 meters of a 7 meter roll and is selling the remaining 5meters. From what i can see they are sold as a 7 meter roll for the pompeii design, but not sure what exp others have found.

Comment

It is difficult to determine how far the roll will go without knowing how wide and thick the blanket is or how big the diameter of the oven is.But to give you an idea, I built a 48" ID oven and used a roll of ceramic fiber insulation that was 1.5" x 4 feet x 25 feet long, used two layers for a thickness of 3" (which I suggest be you min. thickness).
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ok I might just get a full length piece then to be safe too.

im laughing now I just found a supplier here in Adelaide that stocks almost everything I will need.

Im going to do a search in a moment but this supplier was selling blakite fire mortar mix that was air drying for $75 a 20kg tub. I don't think I had heard of it but it sounds like it will make my life easier.

Comment

Working...
          X