Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite source in Southern California

Hi All,
    I have been lurking here for quite some time and I am just getting started on my build. Hope to get a build thread up soon. I am doing whole patio with a 42" pompeii and an Argentine parilla. I am going to be insulating the oven with ceramic fibre board and ceramic fiber blanket. But for the parilla I would like to use vermicrete. I have searched hi and low and can only find very small (1cu ft) bags. I have tried all the nursery supply places I can locate and no luck. Does anyone know of a source of vermiculite or perlite in So Cal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do a search on suppliers that provide concrete or cinder blocks (aka CMUs). They typically sell perlite as core insulaton for the block. I comes in 4 cubic foot bags. A quick search showed South Coast Supply in LA but I am sure there are many others.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hey Rosebowl (GO BRUINS)............I am also in So Cal (Temecula) and found some course Vermiculite suppliers at the nursery stores in Escondido area.
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Thanks Guys! I checked every nursery I could find but no one carries vermiculite anymore. But I didn't try the building supply guys. Question, I read somewhere on here that some perlite is coated in silicone and therefore not suitable for high temps. I plan to use it as a base for firebricks in a parilla. Do you think this will be an issue?

UtahBeehiver your build pics have been a great help in planning. Your attention to detail is amazing. Thanks.

Damer, Really enjoying following your build. Nice to see So Cal people on here!

Comment

Working...
        X