Firemaster Fastwrap+ blanket for insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firemaster Fastwrap+ blanket for insulation

I have access to this product, which is used as a high-temp duct insulation blanket. The prices is right, it comes from a decommissioned Intel Fab in Colorado Springs, and I've stored it for a few years in sealed bags. They are in 1.5" thick foil wrapped blankets 24" wide.

I believe this link certifies them as non-carcinogenic.
    http://www.distributioninternational...ireMaster1.pdf

Here is the product description: http://www.morganfireprotection.com/...ster-fastwrap/
    Last edited by cnegrelli; 04-15-2017, 08:27 PM.

It appears it's superwool, and this thread discussed this. UtahBeehiver suggested it could be used, without the foil (post #78). If that is ok to use, is it a bear to remove the foil?
    I have the equivalent of about 200 SQ FT of this product.

Comment

My view on the use of foil in the insulation layer is that although you may get some value from the foil as a reflective layer, that advantage is more than negated by the foil's impermeability. It traps moisture in the insulation layer making its removal more difficult. If you can't easily remove the foil layer from the blanket, and I suspect you won't, you can perforate it by driving several nails through a length of timber so they just protrude, then slap the surface silly with it. If by chance the foil is already perforated and the specs don't specify that it is, then you can omit this operation. I tried covering my insulation layer with foil in an effort to prevent the dry vermicrete insulation from sucking the water from the rendered stucco applied over the top. Realising that this may cause a vapour barrier I perforated the foil in two places (about 5 " square), one at the apex of the dome and the other about two thirds up from the base. When my insulation gets wet from heavy rain or prolonged humid weather and requires drying, the outer shell feels quite hot at these two places, indicating steam is passing through those spots. Needless to say I've not built an oven with foil since.
      Last edited by david s; 04-16-2017, 12:51 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I did use this product since I picked it up from a surplus store. The actual insulation is ceramic fiber with a poly aluminum foil covering, it is really easy to remove the covering, just use a utility knife to slice open. If you have access to this material for a good price then use it. I left one layer with the foil on, but perforated the the covering, the other layer I merely removed the foil. I had a 4'x25' roll and used almost all of it.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Appreciate both comments above. I bought this about 3 years ago (200 sq ft) for $50. I plan to use half on my oven and the other half goes towards my friend's oven who's been storing it in his barn for these years. I doubt he ever gets around to his project. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X