Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

melt extract fibres (stainless steel needles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melt extract fibres (stainless steel needles)

The melt extract fibres (stainless steel needles) are not to be found in Greece. I did find spools of stainless steel wire 0.5mm diameter. So I'm going to get that and start cutting many small pieces. I'll let y'all know how that works out.

That will take you years cutting up 1/2 mm wire

Comment

Yeah, I guess if I cut one piece at a time. I was also thinking that maybe I could lay or wind the wire in the mold somehow to make sort of a mini rebar.
      Or maybe crochet it into a net.
      Last edited by jersey bob souvlaki; 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

If you can get some stainless steel cable you can cut it into short lengths with bolt cutters then hit the short lengths with a hammer to unravel them. This should give you many fine strands for each cut.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

360 grams cut today from a 500 gram spool into 30mm long pieces in about 4 hours working time. Tried several different cutting tools and methods but only the diagonal cutters worked. Something of a chore but I've done worse jobs for less potential benefit. All the time I was working on it I was trying to think of a quicker easier method. But nothing came. Maybe by the next one.Thanks again, david s for all the info you've provided. Not sure how much more I need but my eyeball and my hand says it's closing in on enough. I think you've said about 4% by weight. Not sure how to calculate that but I'll keep studying. I think I'm going to do a 31 inch dome or thereabouts.
          Anyway that was the last of the hard-to-find materials here. Not sure what the wire is intended to be used for but might be an alternative for folks who can't find ready made melt extract fibres.
          Movin' on, bob.

Comment

Working...
          X