42 inch corner build. Massachusetts.: Design and materials questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 inch corner build. Massachusetts.: Design and materials questions

Where can I get foam glass in Massachusetts? I have decided to use it under my CFB.

My intention is to use full brick as the first "soldier" course around the perimeter. These bricks will also be sitting on top of the fiberboard

I have acquired some tapered brick which will alternate with straight brick as the courses come up. See cross-section pic. any comments on this approach? Will use a lot less mortar and no need for pegs/wedges

Considering drilling a few holes through the concrete underneath the hearth as a precaution to allow any water/moisture buildup of a way out

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you
    David G

Distribution International is a distributor for FoamGlas. There is a branch in NY but did not see one in MA. I am sure there are others distributors. I saw at least a dozen sites on the Pittsburg Glass site for FoamGlas. I am a little concerned with how your taper bricks will lay on your courses. They are tapered for an arch way not so much for dome courses. The brick should sit perpendicular to the center of the floor so the angle of slopes changes, in some cases it will work, other cases the angle on the taper will either be too much or too little. Maybe something mortar came overcome. One more item of considertion, as mentioned in the forum numerous times, nothing wrong with full soldier courses as long as you understand the how the outward load of the dome will sit on the soldiers. This may require some bolstering around the soldiers to compensate.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
    X