Harbison Walker Ovenzz cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbison Walker Ovenzz cast

newbie here. I started to get really into making pizza's and then the army sent me away to Korea! So the more and more I was reading about pizza, I decided I wanted to build a pizza oven when I get back. I've been reading up on just about everything I can about pizza ovens over the past several months. Since my residence isn't permanent ( I do have a house on base) so I wont be able to make a big fancy oven like I want to and many of you guys have ( some of the builds on here are amazing). So since it can't be big and fancy, Im going for not so big and semi portable ( I only plan to move it when i move houses) I plan on going with an exercise ball mold that im sure some of you guys have seen. I know some may look down on that, but it is what it is.

Now for my real question, I have been looking at firebricks trying to find ones for a good price, since im just using them for my hearth (floor?) I stumbled upon Harbison Walker ovenzz cast. They claim it to be certified food grade safe, as well as keeping near the same temperature properties of traditional firebricks. As this cast would be slightly cheaper than buying firebricks, how well do you guys think it would work in place of firebricks, just on the floor? I was wondering if 2-3 inches of this ovenzz cast across the whole floor with 2-3 inches of a vermiculite/quikcrete mix would suffice in retaining heat. I tried doing more research on the ovenzz line HW came out with, but there is only one other post about it, and they only really talk about the differences between ovenzz and their other products (there isnt one).

Any advice or recommendations on the matter? Any and all is accepted.

I was not aware that a brick had to be food grade.
    What does this entail?
    I do understand about Aluminium pots and a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
    I am a newbie here also, and have a friend in the US army that has been transferred from A to B to C to D and back to A in the last five years. crazy

Comment

I would not worry about the food safe listing. It is not a issue. And if you cast the floor you run a higher chance of it cracking from expansion and contraction due to heating. Just my thoughts.

Randy

Comment

Working...
      X