Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40-48" WBO w/ BBQ and Tandoor for $500 or less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40-48" WBO w/ BBQ and Tandoor for $500 or less?

I am building our beach house slowly (budget). I am planning the patio area where I want to build a Pompeii (40" to 48" internal dia) together with a bbq (maybe 48" x 20") and a Tandoor (about 20" dia)
    I have not come up with the exact layout yet, but it will also have some counter top (maybe reconstituted granite or large 1200mm x 600mm porcelain tiles). I will probably design it in an 'L' or even 'U' pattern. Room is not an issue. I expect to start building in a couple of months time.

I am a carpenter and joiner by trade but I have laid bricks and hollow blocks in the past.

As my budget is less than 25,000 pesos ($500) I will have to go cheap on some of the materials. I do have some things lying about like hollow blocks, sand, gravel and wood.

I have priced fire bricks here and they are way out of my budget at 100 pesos ($2 each) + delivery for 2x4x8. I am going to use locally made clay bricks from a pottery project. They are 10.5 pesos (21 cents) each for 2x4x8. I understand the up and downs of using kiln fired clay bricks, but in general they seem to be of good quality here. I can get the red clay for free.

Here is where I need advice:
    Insulation is a small problem. We do not have much products readily available, probably because the temperature seldom goes below 26C (even at night). We can buy polystyrene but that would melt.
    I can however buy Perlite course grade for 750 pesos ($15) for 50 litres. I can also buy Vermiculite 650 pesos ($13) for 5 KG (11LB). Both of these products are available from a hydroponics garden supply store. It seems a bit expensive, but delivery is only about $8.
    So for the bottom insulation, what mixture would you recommend for underfloor and between inner and outer domes? (given that I have Perlite, Vermiculite, clay, sand, & cement)

The Tandoor will be made from two pots from the pottery and insulated with perlite.
    The BBQ will be brick and my friend will weld up a grate from 304 stainless rod for free.

The tools I will make myself. I can 'turn' the handles and the stainless is lying about.

.... I have lots and lots of fiber cement board lying about. Could this be used for insulation of the floor?
    It is only 5mm, but I could sandwich 10 or 15 together.
    If this fiber board is suitable, what thickness would I require?
    Would it be better than Perlite or Vermiculite concrete mix?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Chippy View Post
      .... I have lots and lots of fiber cement board lying about. Could this be used for insulation of the floor?
      It is only 5mm, but I could sandwich 10 or 15 together.
      If this fiber board is suitable, what thickness would I require?
      Would it be better than Perlite or Vermiculite concrete mix?
      Fibre cement sheet is a poor insulator. See attached link. If you live on a beach then you may have access to free pumice stone which makes an excellent insulating aggregate for an insulating concrete mix. Failing that the vermiculite would be your best buy. 100 litres of the stuff usually weighs around 10 kg.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ity-d_429.html
      Last edited by david s; 01-18-2018, 11:59 PM. Reason: added link
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

Fibre cement sheet is a poor insulator. See attached link. If you live on a beach then you may have access to free pumice stone which makes an excellent insulating aggregate for an insulating concrete mix. Failing that the vermiculite would be your best buy. 100 litres of the stuff usually weighs around 10 kg.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ity-d_429.html
        Thank you for your reply, David
        There is little pumice on our beach, but my Belgium friend down the road has a lot of this white lava rock. I was thinking of getting some and grinding with a sledge hammer.
        However, I can buy a 10 kg bag of vermiculite for 1,200 pesos ($22). That is nearly 90 litres by my estimation. Tempting

For the insulated part of the floor. I understand that it should extend under the inner bricks leaf. But if I am making a 100mm insulated cavity between outer and inner dome, would it not be best to insulate under that insulated cavity as well?
        Last edited by Irish Chippy; 01-19-2018, 02:18 AM. Reason: added '?'

Comment

I started at last: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-w-bbq-tandoor
          Ordered 10KG of Perlite. Got 300 bricks

Comment

Working...
          X