Suitable fire bricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable fire bricks?

1st post here. I am planning to build a 42" Pompeii oven this summer. I have been looking around for some of the materials. I found a factory that is being deconstructed and they have plenty of fire brick. The superintendent wasn't sure what kind of bricks they are, but forwarded me these photos. Are either of these suitable for a WFO? Thanks

Hi, Mtlars, Welcome to the forum.

Have you been quoted a price for the used brick? It hasn't been very long ago that someone was going to buy used firebrick for just a little under what new brick are selling for here in the states.

Have you asked the "superintendent" what kind of business or process that the factory was for? A quick search for Skamol comes up with terms like "insulating" brick and "acid resistant" brick. I use to be in the pulp and paper field. We had brick lined vats that was used in the bleaching process. Those brick were exposed to some nasty stuff during their lifetime of use.

You may be able to get some information from Clayburn Refractories' contact us link about the Claytherm GQZ 0.9.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf,

I reached out to the super to get more info on location and use in the plant and pricing. I have not heard back from him yet. I do know it was an aluminum plant. Will let you know when I hear from him.

I also found these firebricks on craigslist. The seller does not have much info about them. They were in a building he purchased, that has since burned down. He said they are rated to 2600 degrees.He is asking $2.5/brick. Hopefully that is negotiable but haven't asked.

Thanks

Comment

You should be able to get new firebrick for under that price. Do a search for brick yards or construction suppliers in your area. Find the places where brick layers and contractors buy their supplies. Stay away from the "fireplace show rooms" and the big box stores. The low duty firebrick rated for a home fireplace will work just fine. Buying new may actually save you some money up front while taking the worry out of the equation.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here's a good example of why you should use fire bricks. In this case these solid reds were not up to the task. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	404045
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X