Nightstore heater bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightstore heater bricks

Hi, The most common fire bricks I have seen available cheaply in my area are out of old night store heaters (electric element heats up bricks when power is cheaper over night then releases it during the day). They are thinner than normal fire bricks though. Could you I a double layer of them on the cooking surface? if I mortared them together are they just going to crack?

am I better to keep looking for some thicker ones. They are about 50mm (2") thick. Example attached.

Some UK builders have used heater tiles for floors, really have not heard good or bad feedback from them though.Floor bricks are normally not mortared, this allows movement for expansion and contraction.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks, my only interest in mortaring them together was to improve heat conduction to the second later (as they are only flat on one side. But yes I imagine it would crack.

Alternatively I thought I could cut them in half to use for some of the dome. A little tedious maybe though.

Not doing the build for a little while yet, just trying to firm up some details so I know what to keep an eye out for.

Comment

Working...
      X