• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh and congrats UtahBeehiver your current post count is 3333 lol
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

thanks to you both for all the help (so far i.e. I am sure I will need more!). I did go with the CalSi board and foam block and will be picking that up early this coming week. Pretty sure I am not going to do the home-brew as I have convinced myself that a. I am not a great chemist b. I am not a great mason and want to focus a little more on b. (cutting the bricks, etc.) than emulating Walter White with a home brew refractory mortar so probably pick up bags of Heat Stop. I am also a little tired of all the shuffling back and forth to Menards and HD.

Comment

Originally posted by snipe97 View Post
        thanks to you both for all the help (so far i.e. I am sure I will need more!). I did go with the CalSi board and foam block and will be picking that up early this coming week. Pretty sure I am not going to do the home-brew as I have convinced myself that a. I am not a great chemist b. I am not a great mason and want to focus a little more on b. (cutting the bricks, etc.) than emulating Walter White with a home brew refractory mortar so probably pick up bags of Heat Stop. I am also a little tired of all the shuffling back and forth to Menards and HD.
        Heat stop is very expensive. i just bout a 1qt plastic paint bucket and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and i put 3 of the 1qt sand and 1 each of the other ingredients into the 5 gallon bucket closed it and shake it up and everything mixes in even and i use that to make small batches of mortar in a smaller container for like 5-6 bricks wotth and then scoop out of the 5 gallon bucket and make more. so far all i needed was 4 or 5 bags of mason sand and 1 bag each of lime, portland the fire clay im still on the first bag but i have another but im guessing ill be using some of that not much but some so id pick up 2 bags. this is way way cheaper.
        My Build Pictures

Comment

that is super helpful information...I assumed it would be difficult for me to manage the home brew chemistry and the trigonometry required for the dome at once. But that sounds pretty manageable and a fantastic way to do things. Thanks for that insight, Chach. I will pick up a couple bags of clay and should be set with everything else from the big chains (though I have to do a little sand research to see what is proper there).

Speaking of trigonometry... Are you using the incredible tool to build the dome?

Comment

oops...meant the Indispensable tool. For me it is incredible

Comment

Originally posted by snipe97 View Post
              oops...meant the Indispensable tool. For me it is incredible
              yes im using an IT and works very well. im just using mason sand i pick it up at menards.
              My Build Pictures

Comment

Snipe,

I found this other place in South Holland where I just purchased castable concrete and they sell all the insulation products too. I talked to Jeff there and he said they love helping out oven builders. He then told me they used to do the casting for Chicago Brick Ovens. I think they sell mortar there as well as clay but you would have to ask. Here is their info.

(708)339-6810

Armil CFS
                15660 La Salle Street
                South Holland, IL 60473

Hope this helps as well
                Last edited by Chach; 06-07-2019, 01:14 PM.
                My Build Pictures

Comment

Chach,

Thanks for the info. on the alternate supplier. Back in the fold on the project after having to work, so apologies for delayed response. I have procured all the material ...now let's see if I can use it properly . Switched my design to a corner install and am just having a whale of a time figuring out how to dimension everything properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X