Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebricks in Maine

Hello
    all I can find for firebricks in Maine are red.
    will this work or do I need to keep searching?

As long as they are true fire bricks, it does not matter what color they are. Fire bricks colors range from light yellow to dark red, seen some even grays to blacks and they range from low duty to super duty in temp. rating. I suggest you get the ebook from FB and read it carefully, dated but a good baseline only 3 bucks.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ok tyvm
      just wanted to make sure I can eat the food I cook on them
      what is ebook you speak of?
      I made pizzas on the road for twenty years but always in gas Blodgett ovens with thick “stone” in them. Really excited to build my own oven for my back yard.
      so far got the base built out of 6x6 and 5 inch slab on top

Comment

Go to the Forno Bravo store and under resources there is a link to DIY plans. They may be free now but could cost $3. Study it well, we see some builders wing it and then come to the forum for help after the fact. Easier to correct on paper.
        Russell

Comment

just wanted to make sure I can eat the food I cook on them
          You will have a hard time getting most any firebrick manufacturer to offer the "food grade" applicablility for pizza ovens. Though, cooking in and on fired clay has been done for thousands of years. As Russell said, firebrick do come in different colors. The common minimum duty firebrick (23%+ alumina) may be yellow, orange, buff, bisque, red (reddish) and several combinations of all. It depends on the clay source(s). I'm not so sure about the deeper colors that are being made for the designer fireplaces. Some are even glazed and you should stay clear of them. But, those would be at a premium in price. Are you pricing and sourcing from the same brick yards that your local masons would?

Ask your brick source for a link to the manufacture's web page which should have a product description.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Harbison Walker claims to have a NFS approved fire brick called Ovenzz. Other than that, I do not know of any other fire brick producer making this claim. I also do not know what premium you will pay. It is a "super duty" brick which means very hard and more difficult to cut than lower duty bricks. I made my oven out of super duty bricks and I went through a dozen diamond blades.
            Russell

Comment

Alright
              thanks all for the replies ... this gives me some ideas
              to work with.... prices seem to be all over the place.

Comment

Working...
              X