Is this FB Board Suitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this FB Board Suitable?

Just came across this FB board on Amazon. For those knowledgeable on the correct specs, is this okay to use for my pizza oven? Link in post.

Thanks for any help!

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Comment

I purchased and used the 1 inch version of this product. You can order it directly from the manufacturer. Mine shipped from Norco. I also used the 2 inch board purchased from Forno Bravo. In my opinion the 'Simond' product is vastly inferior compared to the board from FB. It's a bit irregular and not as dense. It's also not any cheaper than the FB board. Again, in my opinion, between the two, I would go with the board from FB.
      - George

My Build
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

this board has a very high deform percentage, typically 5% min 75 PSI is recommended and maybe up to 10%.You can also try Distribution International. Thermo Gold 12 is an good option with a 100 psi at 5% compression and a good K value of around 0.55 BTU.in/(hr.ft2.F)
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post
          I purchased and used the 1 inch version of this product. You can order it directly from the manufacturer. Mine shipped from Norco. I also used the 2 inch board purchased from Forno Bravo. In my opinion the 'Simond' product is vastly inferior compared to the board from FB. It's a bit irregular and not as dense. It's also not any cheaper than the FB board. Again, in my opinion, between the two, I would go with the board from FB.
          Thanks Mongo for your insight. I did look into the board from FB and found it awfully expensive. If I wanted to cover a 36in oven at 4in thick insulation, I would need 6 boards @ $89 each. = $534 before tax.. Seems crazy to me.. Or is this roughly the price one needs to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            this board has a very high deform percentage, typically 5% min 75 PSI is recommended and maybe up to 10%.You can also try Distribution International. Thermo Gold 12 is an good option with a 100 psi at 5% compression and a good K value of around 0.55 BTU.in/(hr.ft2.F)
            Thanks Russell I will forsure be looking into this.

Comment

joemyself That's definitely not the price one needs to pay. Look into 'vermicrete' here on the forum. From what I understand 4 inches of vermicrete will equal 2 inches of ceramic fiber board. From my scanning of the forum I gathered that most folks these days are going for more insulation/k-factor than is provided by just 2 inches of ceramic fiber board. I think the 'go to' is 2-4 inches of vermicrete topped by a 2 inch FB. Please check with others, that's just my observation.
              The moisture issue with the vermicrete put me off of it. That and I am incredibly impatient and tend to design as I build.
              - George

My Build
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Working...
              X