Use of Old Fire Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Old Fire Brick

The family passed along some Fire Brick as an old outdoor oven of my wife's Grandmother was demo'ed. Is there something I should be looking for to verify quality? Originally I'd planned on using it for my oven floor but after reading post after post I realize you want clean sharp level edges. Obviously this brick has been handled multiple times. There are gouges and edges that are chipped. I cleaned a lot of the old mortar off to use them on my project.

I'm wondering if (since I'm going to need a lot more brick) I can incorporate the really good bricks in the floor then use the rest of them elsewhere in the build.
    Any advice is appreciated. Some really ingenious folks on this forum.

Welcome Majikmatt! We generally recommend new firebricks for the cooking floor (as you suspected) for consistency and safety. Safety, because you don't know what was burned/used in the previous oven and although contamination from the dome would rarely be an issue, it might be from the direct contact of food to the floor. I used old firebricks from a prune drying oven and, like yours, they had a lot of gouges, chips, and broken corners. By simply cutting them in half, I always got a "clean face" that I installed facing into the oven. The poor edges & gouges are hidden from view and nobody sees the "original" flaws.

I applaud your wanting to incorporate those bricks from your wife's Grandmother...it's good heritage karma! I suspect that because it was used in a previous outdoor oven, they have proven their quality for use in your new oven.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you for the intel. Your Dragon Fly build is amazing!!

Comment

New information:

I’ve happened upon a 1/2 pallet of Med Duty firebrick. 9-1/2 straights. It has seen better days, relatively brittle & some small fissures from what I can tell. Planning on cutting into a few of them today to get a better look. Am I setting myself up for failure by trying to use these as my dome? I’ve sourced them from a local refractory supply store so as for quality their legitimate firebrick.

Thanks!

Also, the further we get into fall am I asking for trouble by starting my WFO? If I’m halfway through and we hit a cold snap (Colorado) would I be contending with moisture in the brick & mortar freezing/cracking?

Comment

I had a bunch of old used fire bricks from a prune dryer. Lots of damaged corners and edges (and discoloration). I cut them in half and put the cut side facing in...worked great for the build. There are some small spots where my refractory mortar "fills in a bit" but my oven's going strong after 11 years of pretty consistent work. I suspect the bricks you found will be mostly usable, especially if you halve a couple and find you can get a good face on them. I did use only new bricks on the cooking floor.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X