Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any feedback or additions I should add to my order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any feedback or additions I should add to my order?

Hi All,

I’ve constructed my base and poured my hearth. Now I’m about to order my materials for my oven. I just wanted to post on here and check to see if there is anything else I should add to my order. FYI I’m building a Pompeii style oven. The internal diameter of the dome is 950mm and the arch is a continuous curve with a internal diameter of 600mm.

I’m Melbourne based and ordering most of my materials from Darleys.

Fire bricks x 140 (I’ll cut into halves)
    Fire arch bricks x 16 (pre cut)
    Dome base tiles x 14
    Airset mortar x 2 15kg tubs
    Fondue x 1 20bag (filling the gaps on the back)
    Ceramic fibre blanket x 1 (confirmed that’s enough already)
    Calcium silicate board x 2 (1000mmx500mmx25mm)

I’m ordering a flue custom made.

If anyone has any advice they want to share it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

PS I’ve attached a photo of my base (wish I did better with the finishing of the slab . )

Now would be a good plan to drill some weep holes through the supporting slab near the centre, unless you’ve already cast some in.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

david s Thanks, I will. Just some small halls underneath where the dome will sit?

Comment

It probably doesn’t matter that much, but probably not under the dome walls, more like nearer the centre and away from support piers.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Many people use ‘home brew’ mix to back fill the dome bricks, Fondue can be used but sets very quickly, you can get away with using six parts sand and one part Fondue but it is still not very easy to use due to setting times.
          Also you mention tiles for the dome base, that might well be ok but most folk use fire bricks depending on how much heat retention you require.

Comment

fox can you tell me more about what home brew mix is?
            also, the tiles are for bricks just a larger size soo I need fewer.

Comment

There are a few minor variations but basically it is a mix of Portland cement, lime, sand and clay. It is cheap, effective and very pleasant to use !
              Here is a link https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ick-and-mortar
              ok the slabs I have seen are thinner than bricks but your choice may well be perfect .

Comment

If you do a search on "home brew" you will find dozens of threads on it. One of the hardest item to find for most builders is fire clay but it should be available at any brickie supplier or pottery store. On the CaSi you do no say how much insulation you plan for under the floor. Min. thickness should be 50mm (abt 2" imperial) or two layers of what the material list calls out.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I second/third the use of a homebrew mix. Very user friendly.
                  My Build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Twenty pounds of fondue will last about one course anyway! I started with 50 lbs of high-temp mortar, but quickly switched to home brew because it was cheaper, but also much easier to work with.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

UtahBeehiver

with regards to the thickness of the base. The tile is 40mm and underneath that is the calcium silicate board. Do you think that will be sufficient?

Comment

40 mm tiles (1.57") are on the thin side for thermal mass (ability to store heat) most floors are a min of 50 plus mm thick. You still need a min of 50 mm of CaSi under the floor, Have downloaded and reviewed the free eplans from Forno Bravo. They are a good baseline for design and construction.
                        Russell

Comment

UtahBeehiver

No I haven’t, and I couldn’t find a link that works. Can you please send me it. Thanks

Comment

It is under Forno Bravo website under resources.
                            Russell

Comment

Working...
                            X