Firebrick dealers in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick dealers in New Orleans

So I have just started researching building an oven. But I am having trouble finding local dealers for fire brick. Ordering them online is also looking very expensive. I would love to find a resonably priced local dealer or one in the Houston area.

Hi PowerPlantop,

Welcome to the forum. Firebricks are getting hard to get. But, forget the online stuff. Start making calls to your local building supply stores (not the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot) I'm talking about the lumber and brick yards that contractors go to. They may be able to tell you where to find them. If they don't know, ask them if they can put you in touch with a brick layer. You may even want to call some brick layers listed in the h trade pages. If you make enough calls you will find them

Houston is a far piece from NOLA. Hattiesburg, MS is probably a little closer. Hattiesburg has two brick vendors. One is Columbia Block and Brick. However, they only sell 4"X8" X2" fire brick. Both new and used. American Concrete Products sells the standard 4"X9"X2.2 1/4" firebrick. We got the last 100 that American had a month ago. They were supposed to be getting more in but did not want to wait so we traveled to Tuscaloosa, AL. and brought back 300.

Good luck and hope this helps.

PS: Power company or commercial power plant? I'm an old pulp mill operator is the reason I ask.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Also do a Google search on "Refractory Materials", I did a quick search and several suppliers popped up. PS, not sure what you consider reasonably priced. You also may want to check local Craiglists or classified ads.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I'm not sure about NOLA, but we are seeing prices around $2.00 per brick when in stock. The lowest price that we found was $1.80 at Acme in Mobile Alabama, but they were out of stock at the time. They did not know when they would get another truck. We ended up paying $2.15 each for the bricks that we were able to find in stock in Hattiesburg and Tuscaloosa.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          I'm not sure about NOLA, but we are seeing prices around $2.00 per brick when in stock. The lowest price that we found was $1.80 at Acme in Mobile Alabama, but they were out of stock at the time. They did not know when they would get another truck. We ended up paying $2.15 each for the bricks that we were able to find in stock in Hattiesburg and Tuscaloosa.
          $2.00 a brick is reasonable. The $8 per brick that I was seeing is not. There is a local Acme close by. Perhaps I can order from them, I am not in a hurry since this is a project for later in the spring.

Now I work for a power company. But have worked for independent companies and a turbine supplier for 10 years.

Comment

If you are considering the "Home Brew", check for fireclay. I bought two 50lb. bags at the yard in Mobile. Fireclay has gone up in price. I think that it was $22 a bag. But, a bag will help make a lot of home brew mortar.

I'm looking forward to following your oven build.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerPlantop View Post
              So I have just started researching building an oven. But I am having trouble finding local dealers for fire brick. Ordering them online is also looking very expensive. I would love to find a resonably priced local dealer or one in the Houston area.
              I'm building an oven in Baton Rouge. We have a local Jim Stone that stocks splits. They also have some oven kits as well as a neat little demo oven. There are several brick supply stores in BTR and New Orleans.

Comment

I'm building an oven in Baton Rouge. We have a local Jim Stone that stocks splits. They also have some oven kits as well as a neat little demo oven. There are several brick supply stores in BTR and New Orleans.
                Splits can be priced as expensive or even higher than full thick fire brick. Splits can work for some but, I advise full thick for the oven floor. I also advise staying away from fireplace stores as they usually charge a much higher price than the brick yards and building supplies from which contractors source their materials. The fireplace stores draw in folks to their pretty displays who don't really know "the game". It is always a good practice to compare prices. More important, "compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges".

Comment

Working...
                X