Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alumina-Silicate Quartz-Cristobalite Firebrick

Hey everyone

I've been chipping in on other threads, but I thought it better to start my own and provide as much info as I can.

I've been able to pick up some free refractory bricks from a steel fabricators and wanted to get opinions on suitability for a pizza oven. I've got a copy of the datasheet, and from what I can see, it's a Alumina-Silicate Quartz-Cristobalite Firebrick. I'm thinking this makes it a super-duty brick given the high silica content. They're off white, pretty smooth, with flecks of dark material inside.

I've tried cutting with a bolster and it's very tough, but I reckon I can use a cutting disc to cut halfway through to create a clean edge, then finish with a bolster to save on discs. The bricks measure 5x5x23cm, so if I cut into three I'll get some nice sized bricks to build the dome which will fit together nice and tight. The floor I'll make out of standard firebricks. I was planning on insulating the dome with ceramic fire blanket, then a layer of perlite concrete and finished with a concrete render.

I've been in touch with the company to check what they've been used for and as far as I am aware they were use for sandblasting. To be doubly sure, I've soaked a brick in a bucket of water for a few days, then used a heavy metal water test and the results are the same as regular tap water. The main issue I can see from the datasheet is from silica dust, but I'm assuming that would be an issue with any firebrick. Otherwise, no concerns from a safety point of view that I can see.

From what I've read on here, the high silica content shouldn't be an issue in terms of the oven function, it's more their toughness, but given the bricks were free, I can afford to blow through some discs!

I'd welcome any thoughts/ suggestions. Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Free is the best price. Those bricks should be good.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X