Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried casting an oven out of Rutland Castable Refractory cement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried casting an oven out of Rutland Castable Refractory cement?

Rutland Castable Refractory

It seems to claim that you could do so, but I haven't seen anywhere online whether anyone has actually tried it or not.

The trouble is that where I live I can't seem to find the lime and clay necessary for a home brew casting mix. I thought this might be easier since the manufacturer seems to think it could work for this purpose.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-08-2023, 10:53 AM. Reason: removed commercial hyperlink

I don’t know the product you mentioned, but refractory cement is not what you want. You need a dense castable refractory, which contains a mix of refractory cement.,high temperature aggregates and burnout fibres. Check the specs on the product.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      I don’t know the product you mentioned, but refractory cement is not what you want. You need a dense castable refractory, which contains a mix of refractory cement.,high temperature aggregates and burnout fibres. Check the specs on the product.
      Thanks for the reply, David!
      I tried to link the product, but it seems links aren't allowed on the forum. The product in question markets itself for making custom firebrick shapes, and the packaging says:
      "Perfect for casting into custom designs because it holds its shape while drying. It can even be used as the sole material when casting a solid stove bed or outdoor oven."

Comment

It sounds like it’s probably dense castable refractory. There are many suppliers with a range of different products designed for different applications and service temperatures. The material is generally designed to be fired to around double the temperature it would see in a pizza oven. However if it never receives sufficient temperature to begin the vitrification process, it still works and is a good, if expensive, solution compared to the homebrew castable.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Look at mason/concrete material suppliers for lime and mason clay, ie HC Muddox is on brand of clay. Big box or local Ace most likely are limited in these materials. Refractory material distributors for insulation and firebrick.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
          X