Utah Brick Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Brick Ovens

I thought I would start a thread for WFOs in Utah. I really struggled finding materials, so I'd like to share what I learned with others along the Wasatch Front who are thinking of buying or building a WFO.

In addition to mine in Kaysville, I'm aware of an oven in Santaquin, Draper, West Valley City, and Cache Valley. I believe there are others. Let's collect threads here, learn from each other, and help out any newbies.

Joe
    Last edited by jmhepworth; 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM.
    Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Re: Utah Brick Ovens

I bought my firebrick from Lehi Block because I could get it delivered at the same time as pavers for a patio. Lehi doesn't carry full size bricks anymore, only splits, so when I needed more I bought them from Buehner Block, which is also where I bought flue tile. I bought the concrete block from Home Depot. I bought Heat Stop refractory mortar from the manufacturer. I called them to find out if they had a distributor in Utah, and they called me back and made a really good deal, which I agreed not to tell anyone about. Not only were they really nice, they explained the importance of mixing with cold water, only mixing as much as you can use in 20 minutes, and keeping the firebrick wet. I bought steel studs and hardibacker from Colonial Building Supply in Centerville -- also really helpful people.

Here is my thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Joe
    Last edited by jmhepworth; 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM.
    Joe

Comment

I built a Alan Scott oven. At the time I thought the round ovens looked too complicated to build. I just recently finished the oven to the point where I feel comfortable with winter coming. Next spring I'll finish the exterior tile, stucco and surrounding landscaping. I have all my build pics up on facebook. Just do a search for Frank Fortino and send me a message that your from the Forno Bravo forum and I'll add you as a friend.

Comment

I'd like to see it. I was contemplating an Alan Scott oven before I found Forno Bravo. It'll be interesting to compare notes on how the two styles of oven perform.

Joe
        Joe

Comment

FYI I bought all my brick from Interpace in Orem and I believe they had the best price around at the time. $1.20 each for full size.

Comment

Joe you forgot me! Payson I threw away the bricks you said you wanted cuz you never contacted me last winter. My oven is a 32 inch pompei.

Comment

You're right. I did forget about you. Sorry. Are you aware of any others I've missed?

Joe
              Joe

Comment

Hi, we live in Cottonwood Heights. We finished out basement last year and my husband wants to build a pizza oven. We have a lot of windows in the basement and also a kitchen. My husband wants to dig out one of the window wells and remove the window and put the pizza oven in the window well with access through the former window. The oven would be buried when completed, but the chimney would be right next to our house. How do you vent something like that? I'm worried about black stains from the smoke going up the outside of my house, or possibly embers catching something on fire. Does the chimney have to go up to the roof of our house? Thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm not the expert on chimneys. There are many on the forum who are. You will have to run a chimney taller than your roof. That's the bad news. But a chimney that tall will draw really well. Attaching the oven to the house will almost certainly require compliance with code, getting the project approved by your local planning office, having it inspected along the way, etc. It's a much more difficult process than building a stand alone oven away from fences and structures. It appears that most municipalities don't require planning approval. But there are members of the forum who have built ovens with access from inside, and they love them. I wish I could use mine during the winter. I suppose I could if I weren't such a pansy when it comes to standing in the snow.
                  Joe

Comment

How do you vent something like that?
                    Joe is right: Code calls for your chimney to be two feet higher than any structure within ten feet. That's a lot of chimney whether you're paying for the expensive stainless units, or building a lined masonry chimney. Also true is that any oven built into a house needs to meet code for masonry fireplaces. This means full footings, and clearance to combustibles. Codes (and code enforcement) vary from place to place, but you don't want to do anything that would endanger your house (or your fire insurance coverage)
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm building a Pompeii 110. Hoping to close the dome before the end of May.

Greg
                      sigpic
                      I'm not dead, yet! I'm feeling better.

Comment

I'm up and running now. I'm in Salt Lake with an Artigiano 100. It's lovely, just haven't named it yet.

Comment

I know the majority of those on this thread are building brick ovens, but I'm looking into building a cob oven with fire bricks as the oven floor. Can any of you recommend where to buy the clay for a cob oven? Thanks.

Comment

I have been wondering that also. It might be easier to just find a natural source and give it a try. you might try to find a local pottery forum

Comment

I would go to a masonry store and buy bentonite, it is perfect for what you want to do. I have mixed it with my mortar and had excellent results

Comment

Working...
                              X