clay flue in san diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clay flue in san diego

anyone know where to buy oven flue in san diego? , prefer a clay flue but if i have to i'll consider something else....

thanks,

David

Re: clay flue in san diego

Hi Dave,

I can't recommend a business in San Diego, but this part is commonly available at masonry supply businesses, in various shapes and sizes. If you don't get a local with a specific response to your question, to the phone book and look at the masonry supply businesses.

Good luck with your search,

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
      Hi Dave,

I can't recommend a business in San Diego, but this part is commonly available at masonry supply businesses, in various shapes and sizes. If you don't get a local with a specific response to your question, to the phone book and look at the masonry supply businesses.

Good luck with your search,

JED
      Thanks for the reply but i have been to the large Masonary supply businesses in SD and they dont carry it. the best they could offer was 4" clay sewer pipe

david

Comment

Originally posted by David D View Post
        Thanks for the reply but i have been to the large Masonary supply businesses in SD and they dont carry it. the best they could offer was 4" clay sewer pipe

david
        Hey david,

I am surprised to hear this. I guess the masonry fire place has been replaced by the modular fire place: buy it at Walmart, and plug it in...

JED

Comment

Yeah, it's the old problem of fireplace supplies in hot climates. Drain tile won't withstand heat, and four inches isn't nearly big enough. You could look for a cast iron pipe, that would be a good, if pricey substitute. Ask at a big plumbing supply. Or, you could get flue tile shipped in. Any masonry supply or brickyard should be able to do a special order.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

This was one of the reasons I ended up going with the Dura$ chimney. I have to say I am amazed by how cool the outside of the chimney stays during burns. The cost on the other hand... OUCH.

Chris

Comment

Dave,
              If you want to consider ordering from RCP special order, we can both order and split the shipping, probably will be less than Duravent even with pricey shipping charges.
              Eric

Comment

thanks, checked with them and they quoted me $200 for shipping

you have better luck?

Comment

As far as I know, clay flue liners are not allowed in new construction in CA --earthquake code-- anyway, ever since the SC-AQMD banned wood-burning fireplaces in new construction, wood-burning fireplace supplies have been hard to find.

I went with the duravent -- no complaints, except that 2, 2' sections arrived dented -- the vendor replaced them free of charge.

BTW: wood-fired ovens are still legal in LA/OC, but not outdoor fireplaces.

Comment

Also forgot to mention, I've seen two clay liners split on a temporary pizza oven -- we figured they must have had some internal moisture as they were dry stacked.

Comment

oh well i guess Duravent and a stucco frame its going to be then....

thanks,

david

Comment

I am also thinking about using a clay flue but if I can't find one locally I'll use firebricks instead.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I gave up on the clay flue and got a Simpson chimney and plate for $200

Comment

Originally posted by David D View Post
                            I gave up on the clay flue and got a Simpson chimney and plate for $200
                            Geez, I might have to do that too. It will be completely covered with stucco.
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Or perhaps I might find one in Mexico next time I drive down there...
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                              X