Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials in Portland, Oregon

Got Fire Brick ?
    looking for suplies etc. for firebrick and refrectory mortar.

Thanks in advance

Re: Materials in Portland, Oregon

We got our firebrick from Mutual Materials in Hillsboro. I think they have stores sprinkled around Portland. We bought RefMix from Forno Bravo, so we can't help you with any local leads on the mortar.

Ken
    Last edited by vintagemx0; 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Hi Ken,

How did you insulate your oven?

Did you find a local source for board and batt masonry insulation?

Or did you use vermiculite / perlite?

Thanks

JED

Comment

Hi Jed,

Under the floor we have 5 inches of perlcrete. I planned on 4 but made an error (in the better direction for once!). Over the dome we have 3 inches of ceramic wool blanket from Forno Bravo. We also walled-around our dome and we filled the entire resulting void between the dome and the walls with perlcrete. All of our perlcrete was mixed 1 part portland to 6 parts perlite. We capped the top of the structure with 2 inches of acrylic fortified concrete before putting a wooden roof over that.

Comment

Ken - thanks.
          I did get some bricks from Willamette Graystone. I was convienient for me but more expensive than Mutal materials ( $1.50 compared to $1.40 at Mutual).
          Mutual had 'firestop' premixed buckets of refrectory mortar - no dry mix - any comments ?

Comment

have you found the mortar supplier yet? I just bought firebrick from Mutual Materials as they are very close to my house in Clark County. haven't found mortar or the insulating materials yet so any info in that regard would be helpful.

i have cut my floor bricks and first three rows of the oven as well. They are all dry fit currently but that is as far as I have gotten.

Jim

Comment

Hey folks,

Very interested in any outlets for oven or pizza related stuff in the area. i am just starting a 36" Pompeii. Bought the bricks from Mutual Material but that is all I have so far, other than the HF tile saw of course.

We just picked up a small bit of Caputo's flour in Hawthorne, but that was just to try the stuff out.

have not yet found mortar other than premix buckets at MM, but there is no way that will work, it is too expensive.

I figure to buy the insulating tiles from FB and the ceramic blanket material as well, unless someone has found a local source.

Anyone using their oven yet?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Jim

Comment

Sorry, just noticed I hadn't said that i was located in Clark County, SW Washington.

Jim

Comment

Jim
                  Mortar: I used one bucket of 'heatstop' then went to home mix recipe i found on this sire. I obtained fireclay from 'Georgies' a great pottery place on Columbia Blvd. in Portland. (503.283.1353)

Insulation: So far I'm using perlite obtained from Home Depot. I still thinking about the use of blankets

Comment

I built an oven in the fall and got all of my materials from a place in Clackamas called "Harbison Walker"
                    They deal mostly in industrial materials, but they have castables and mortor.

Comment

I used normal off the shelf mortar (albeit the "high strength" variety), and mixed in 20% fireclay. It worked perfectly. Basically I was assuming that the bag mortar represented the other ingredients in the recipe and I added the fireclay in the appropriate amount. As far as I can tell from the way the mortar worked, its strength, and fire durability, that assumption was true.

It might be a tiny bit more expensive, but far more convenient.

Comment

Scott, have you found the high strength mortar (e.g., type S) mixed with 20% fireclay to still be a good solution? Has it held up? I was reading a thread on this and people suggested against this due to the sand size in the mix being too large.

Comment

Any suggestions on where to get angle iron in the Portland area (preferably westside)? I haven't found 6' lengths of 2"x2"x3/8", as specified in the Block Stand instructions, at Home Depot or the local hardware store.

Comment

Mutual materials will have angle iron, but it is 3"x4" cut to whatever length you need. I know the Depot in Sherwood has the 2" angle iron, I just looked at it a couple hours ago (shook my head at how much money they want for it) and I have seen 2" angle at the depot in Tigard also.

I use a 25% mix of fire clay mixed with type S mortar. It does take more skill and proficiency to work with than pre-mixed but it will last.

Comment

Bed rails are a good source of angle iron. Look on craigslist for one of those mattress stands. Another option is to use a little more rebar in the front of your support slab, and forgo that useless row of blocks entirely. You'll have more access to your wood storage that way.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X