Used Firebrick opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Firebrick opportunity

Found the following on Craigs List. I'm in the planning stage and am wondering if I should jump on this opportunity.
    Comments please.

Phil
    __________________________________________________ _

I am tearing down some kilns at a old floor ceramic tile company---The kilns are 6' wide by 9' tall by 100' long. There are thousands of fire brick that are 2.5" by 5" by 9" long. And there are thousands of 1.25" by 5" by 9" long. Also bricks that made the arch top---Also a few flat top pieces that are 12" by 42" long too. And several hundred kiln furniture for making tile. most of one kiln has been sold--but there are plenty more.
    I have a forklift for loading and will deliver for a resonable fee to the metroplex. The bricks are cleaned and ready for use in fire places --out door fire pits or grills or pizza ovens. These are hight temp. bricks.

Re: Used Firebrick opportunity

I was looking into that too, even though I'm probably about 12 months away from actually building an oven. However, doesn't it say that those are "high temp" firebricks? Would they be suitable for a brick oven?

Comment

I too looked into those and from the research I have done I think they are Hi-Temp due to the firing of the ceramic tile as well as possible chemical issues from the glazes being fired. Not absolutely certain yet. He gets a buck a piece and if they are in fact medium range brick I myself will travel the 45 miles to load up myself.

Where are you Located aurik? I am in Ranger.

Here is the Link if dmun or someone with more experience can chime in. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mat/1587084745.html. he has good photos.

P/S: the guy says he's selling them faster than he can get them out
      Last edited by kmckinney; 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

KMC
        Have you priced new bricks in the DFW area? I have not. I'm in Plano, alittle further than you from MWells. Let me know if you purchase any.

Thanks
        Phil

Comment

I have not priced them in the DFW area but have a little closer to me in Cisco and they are running around 2.00 to 2.25 each. I will be going to MW in a few days and plan on stopping in to look at the brick and I will let you know. Also I sent the link to Dmun and asked his opinion as well so hopefully we can take advantage of these and save dollars to apply to insulation...

Comment

You should be able to find fire brick in the metroplex for about $1.50. Those brick would work fine though. I would get them if you can.

Comment

They say "High temp" bricks not "high duty". I think a buck a brick for used bricks in the US is steep, (i paid that for new ones) but I'm sure they would work fine. That's a bargain for the tapered arch ones if you need them, and the refractory tiles are pricey as well, if you want an less segmented floor.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Any brick used in a commercial oven is going to be high duty, and from the pic they look to be in as good a shape as new. Locally, firebrick range from .45 cents for locally produced number 2's, to $1.50 for Whitacre-Greer's to as high as 9 bucks a pop at some specialty stores for the exact same brick. Do a search for masonry supply houses for your best bet.

Comment

I checked with some guys I know up there. Alliance Materials has firebrick at $1.50. They are in Keller and McKinney.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    I checked with some guys I know up there. Alliance Materials has firebrick at $1.50. They are in Keller and McKinney.
                    If that's the case, then I'll have to check them out when I do my build. I drive almost right by there on my way home from work each day. The convenience would be worth it.

Comment

I am interested in about 1500 used firebricks 1.25" by 5" X 9" please call 215 370-7989 or email photos of brick to richardkiefner@verizon.net
                      What color are the bricks?
                      Thank you,

Originally posted by PlanoPhil View Post
                      Found the following on Craigs List. I'm in the planning stage and am wondering if I should jump on this opportunity.
                      Comments please.

Phil
                      __________________________________________________ _

I am tearing down some kilns at a old floor ceramic tile company---The kilns are 6' wide by 9' tall by 100' long. There are thousands of fire brick that are 2.5" by 5" by 9" long. And there are thousands of 1.25" by 5" by 9" long. Also bricks that made the arch top---Also a few flat top pieces that are 12" by 42" long too. And several hundred kiln furniture for making tile. most of one kiln has been sold--but there are plenty more.
                      I have a forklift for loading and will deliver for a resonable fee to the metroplex. The bricks are cleaned and ready for use in fire places --out door fire pits or grills or pizza ovens. These are hight temp. bricks.

Comment

Working...
                      X