Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting one in Arizona.....

Hello -

I'm about to start my project out here in the Valley of the sun, and wanted to see if
    1. Anyone else that has built one lives in Arizona... and
    2. If so, were is a good place to get all the material.
    I'm getting all the basic material from Lowes; however, were is a good place for the fire brick, as well as the high heat mortar.
    I?m pretty sure that I will have other questions down the road, but just wanted to connect with other people in the Valley.

Re: Starting one in Arizona.....

I'm in Phoenix as well. I just finished building my support structure last weekend - this weekend I'll be pouring the hearth.

My recommendation for supplies that aren't carried by the big box stores would be Marvel Building Supply. They carry firebrick as well as the proper mortar. I do not know about insulation, but they might carry that as well if you are looking to buy locally.

Comment

Looks like we are all on the same schedule! Starting to lay firebrick this weekend. I have found AZ brick source on 36th st. to be very helpful for bricks, marvel for the mortar. Plenty of vermiculite and perlite around.

Comment

How is AZ brick source on pricing? I went down to Phoenix Brick Supply yesterday and was quite shocked to find that they want $99 for a 55lb bag of HeatStop mortar.

I ended up ordering the insulation layer for under the oven from FB, but it got damaged in shipping, and so FedEx never even attempted delivery - they just automatically sent it back when it got to the local hub. I think, since it will have to be re-shipped, I'll add a couple bags of mortar to the order before it goes out again.

I already have firebrick (my father-in-law had about 125 bricks that he donated to the project), so I'm good there.

I was really looking forward to starting the floor and soldier course this weekend, but without the insulation all I can do is plan.

Robert

Comment

I am on the finishing touches on my structure in Queen Creek, AZ.
          I found a place that has most everything you would need. It is called Pacific Insulation. I got the brick, blanket, and mortar from them. They even deliver for free. Ask for Jaime, she is very helpful. If you all are near QC you are welcome to come by and take a peek.
          Sean

Comment

AZ Brick Source sold me fire brick at 1.45 each, Marvel quoted 1.68. I went with a homebrew mix for the mortar, and have had really good results. Minimal cracks at 400* curing stage today.

Comment

I'll check out both those places. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X