Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few queries...

Hi All,
    I've started my 32" build (floor in and dome started - photos to come in a while) and whilst not as polished as many ovens on the forums I'm reasonably happy with my progress so far given my skill level! I've just a few questions that have been banging around in my head.
    I'm using half bricks (not tapered at all) and as I progress up the dome the vertical gap between bricks in the same chain becomes more triangular in shape rather than a regular gap, if that makes sense.
    I'm assuming that the mortar between the bricks provides a couple of basic functions. (1) it holds the bricks in place at the right angle to create the dome (vertically as well as horizontally), (2) it creates 'wedges' that prevent the bricks from moving during the life of the oven (similar to keystones) and (3) it provides extra mass to the oven for heating and cooking.
    On each chain I'm finding a brick or two do not always meet perfectly on their vertical edges. Sometimes 1 brick is slightly 'forward' (up to 2-3 mm) of it's neighbor. If (2) above is correct, is this going to case any issues for my build? I'm guessing no but wondering if anyone can provide any advice?
    I'd rather not tear down the chains I've done so far as I don't think I've got the skills to get each brick perfect aginst it's neighbour!
    Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
    Cheerio,
    Mark CH

Re: A few queries...

You can minimize the triangular mortar gap by using narrower bricks than half bricks. Try using third bricks.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks fxpose,
      Yeah, I've cut some 3rds and have started to interpose them throughout the chains with a view that the last couple of chains will be wholey 3rds or, if needed, quarters. My bigger concern is if 1 or 2 bricks do not line up perfectly in each chain, will this compromise the integrity of my oven.
      Cheerio,
      Mark CH

Comment

Although I'm using the indispensible tool I sometimes find some bricks do not line up perfectly. In those cases I tweek them a bit laterally, diagonally, or vertically, so they line up.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
        X