using 1-1/2" industrial baker floor tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using 1-1/2" industrial baker floor tiles

I found these 12 x 12 1-1/2" thick industrial baker floor tiles at earth stone ovens. Does anyone have any experiance with these? I am wondering how the heat retention would be directly on an insulation layer without any additional mass added.

Re: using 1-1/2" industrial baker floor tiles

They sound like the big firebricks that are called "refractory tiles". If that's indeed what they are they will work fine: James is putting something like that in the pompeii kits.

Do they look like firebrick material?

My only qualm is the 1.5 inch thickness: that might be a little thin. If this concerns you, you could always put a layer of something like heavy terracotta tiles to beef up the mass to the desired 2.25 inch thickness.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am going to look at some soapstone remnants today and depending on what the supplier has, will probably buy 4-5 small pieces to patch together to cover a 42" floor and part of the entryway. My initial question is: Will a 3/4" thick piece of soapstone work as well as a 1 1/4" piece if placed directly on top of a 2 1/2" firebrick? Given the cost of the soapstone I don't want to invest in splits if I can help it. I don't mind placing 1 1/4" soapstone on top of full firebricks if the additional thermal mass is not cost-prohibitive in wood.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        They sound like the big firebricks that are called "refractory tiles". If that's indeed what they are they will work fine: James is putting something like that in the pompeii kits.

Do they look like firebrick material?

My only qualm is the 1.5 inch thickness: that might be a little thin. If this concerns you, you could always put a layer of something like heavy terracotta tiles to beef up the mass to the desired 2.25 inch thickness.
        They look like firebricks just much heavier. I have heard that terracotta tiles take a long time to heat up but not sure if that is true. If I used the terracotta tiles and the refractory tiles would you use a thin refractory mortar to bond the two?

I don't have to use these tiles even though they are available to me so do you think it would be better to use standard firebrick?

Comment

Working...
        X