FB mortar to set floor tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB mortar to set floor tiles

I am thinking of using terra cotta tiles and 1 1/2" refractory tiles for my hearth. as recommended in another thread. should I use the FB mortar to set the terra cotta tiles on my FB board and some more mortar to bond the terra cotta to the refractory tile?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: FB mortar to set floor tiles

Can I ask what you ended up doing? - I've got the same issue - do I set the bricks and tile layers in mortar, ie stick them down, or do I just place them on a layer of sand, so they are loose? I'm assuming that they should all be butt jointed, no mortar between the sides. It's what's underneath them that I am confused about. Thanks.

Comment

If I remember corectly I ended up using a fireclay sand mixture and haven't had any problems. I did not mortor between tiles just butted them together.

I didn't use terra cotta but firebrick splits and 1 1/2 baker tiles. The floor works great and keeps a very good consistent temperature with the walls.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info! Very helpful to sort out a question that's been bugging me! I shall be doing the same. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X