Oven and Fireplace Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven and Fireplace Design

Hello, This is my first post here but I have been reading these forums for awhile.

This past winter I had 2 trees fall in my back yard and take out my outdoor fireplace. Since I have to rebuild I thought to add a oven as well but am having a hard time finding any designs that are even close to what I am looking for.

I would like to have a Fireplace in the lower section and a oven on the top but having a hard time trying to figure out about the chimney and how to have the fireplace roof carry the oven weight load.

Every photo or plans I have found has the area under the oven as a wood storage area rather then a fireplace. My family uses the backyard a lot during the good weather and loves having that open fire feel that I do not think a oven would provide. But we all really want a oven to cook in and I would love to be able to figure out how to do this.

Building site has old corner fireplace base foundation that I will need to rebuild the brick fireplace and hope to put the oven on top.

Thank you for any advice.

Re: Oven and Fireplace Design

Sorry for the double post :/

Has anyone ever put a oven above a fireplace? Or am I asking for the moon?

Comment

I can see no upside to an oven above the fireplace, ignoring the technical details.

Example:

Blazing fire in the fireplace catches your britches on fire as you tend the oven above.

Just put them in the same structure, side by side, or with the faces at an angle to each other in a corner layout.

Comment

Rainwolf,

There are a few people on the forum that have built a fireplace beneath the oven. Here is one thread that I know of http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-6820.html

If you keep searching the forum you should find what others have done and how well they work.

Paul
        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Tscarborough-
          I would not use both at the same time but after pizza is done and maybe bread is baking have a small fire in the lower fireplace for the people still outside. or those days when the oven is not going to be used but we are outside with friends.

Comment

Alter ego-
            Thank you so much! that was just what I was looking for!
            now to figureout the designs :}

Comment

Rainwolf, Have you turned up any more details on this? I'm interested in doing a rumsford 45 degrees offset from the oven mouth - interested in how to do a combined flu

-P

Comment

Not really... I've read a lot, but nothing really specific on the designing.

I'm thinking of placing a basic arched lower fireplace (the arch helping with weight load strength) with a Pompeii type clay/cob oven on the top. I'm thinking about having duel chimneys... But not really set yet.

Current status of project is that I have the patio area 3/4 dug out, I should have the grading of the patio and framing around the old fireplace base (to re level and extend out another 6 inches) done within the next week or 2.

Once I have the patio finished and the base poured I'll get down to the finally design planning while the base dries for about a week or 2.

Comment

I figured out how to do both in the same box. The oven entry would be in the upper part of a rumford fireplace, so the only issues are that you can only use the fireplace or the oven not both at the same time and the floor of the fireplace will have to be around 18" above ground level. I drew it out scaled and it looks pretty good.

It would be a 42" rumford, with an arched top and any size oven with a maximum entry door of 15" wide by 14" tall.

Comment

I have no idea about oven but I can give you some advise about Fireplace. I hope it works for you. If you want a fireplace design that performs flawlessly, then you design a fireplace exactly to the dimensions in the table on this page. If this means getting out a sledge hammer to help you, then so be it.
                    electric fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                    X