No announcement yet.

Where can I find firebrick in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where can I find firebrick in the UK?

Dear Peter

I'm a UK newbie looking to start building an oven, seems to be becoming more and more popular here now and to keep my wife, (the financial controller happy) I'm also looking for a supply of cost effective fire bricks. My local builder's merchant is quoting ?2.30 + VAT/brick, = ?2.70 each inclusive. Fairly similar to everybody else who's posted here. If you could source some bricks I would be interested, would obviously need to arrange delivery from Nottingham to Sussex, not sure if this would be economic.

Not sure if you've seen this ad on EBay; 1000 fire bricks for ?500. (They may be open to offers, not sure they want a pallet of 1000 bricks sitting in their yard and currently bids =0). Fairly local to you also in Derbyshire.

(I'm not allowed to post links at present due to this being my first post, but the ad is listed under Building Materials & Supplies, Bricks, and is called BRICKS BRICK FURNACE FURNESS. I'm sure you will find it)

Regards

Fig

Comment

Link help

picture:

Welcome to Forno Bravo.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I also picked this up on ebay and spoke to the chap who is selling them this morning. He has quite a few people watching the sale. I am going to put in a bid, so if you are interested lets do this together rather than bid against each other. I also have a truck provisionally arranged to delivery them to my home in Salisbury.

Comment

Originally posted by A_man_needs_a_project View Post
          I also picked this up on ebay and spoke to the chap who is selling them this morning. He has quite a few people watching the sale. I am going to put in a bid, so if you are interested lets do this together rather than bid against each other. I also have a truck provisionally arranged to delivery them to my home in Salisbury.
          I've had a look - and I know where they are - and its at a scrapyard in Belper.

To be honest, you can see how they have been restacked as a lot have green ends etc - it looks like for the past 10 years they have been outside, and will take a lot of drying out.

I'm speaking to a couple of suppliers again tomorrow, and should hopefully have prices

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Even good brickyards keep their bricks outside. Your curing fires will make short work of any lichens and internal moisture.

I'd only be concerned if they restacked them to conceal broken ends or bad chips.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am now the proud owner of a load of bricks. If anyone wants any before I ship them to the south of England, can they urgently let me know. You would need to collect them from Belper. I will hopefully be moving them tomorrow (17 April)

Cheers
              Martin

Comment

Quick Update....

I have now got a supplier in the UK, and the price will be around ?1.10 per brick for 42% alumina bricks, new from the yard.

This excludes VAT and carriage, and I'm pulling together the transport costs at the moment.

Anyone who is interested, please let me know

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Hi There

Yes I am interested; I?m looking to build a Pompeii oven in the next few weeks and will need a quantity of firebricks. I will be calculating the amount at the weekend and will get back to you.

Regards

Jonathan

Comment

Hi Peter

Following on from my last post i expect i will need in the region of 200 firebrick, would there be any chance of knowing the ball park figure on that quantity?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Comment

HI FOLKS
                      New to this I am looking for a supplier of bricks and the insulating sheet and base etc
                      at reasonable prices it would appear that Midland Refractories is no more.All information
                      will be welcome
                      GERALD

Comment

Bump... is this still active? PeterW - are you still selling/reselling bricks in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
                          Bump... is this still active? PeterW - are you still selling/reselling bricks in the UK?
                          Have you tried Dudley Designs? I got the firebricks for my arch from there.
                          FIREBRICKS, FIRE BRICKS,fireback,cast iron,firebasket,firebrick,fire dog,fire front - Dudley Designs
                          Nice guy, and the delivery cost was quite reasonable.

Comment

Thanks - will add them to my list

In case anyone else needs them, this is my supplier list (UK) for now.

I'll be calling them all for prices, etc... so I may update it later on in the build:

Vermiculite:
                            Travisperkins (?7.50 for 100l)

Firebricks:
                            Midland Refractories
                            Sheffield refractories
                            Vitcas
                            Handsworth Refractories - Refractory Products & Services
                            SHL Refractories (UK) Ltd
                            DSF Refractories & Minerals Ltd - Refractories Page
                            Sheffield Refractories Ltd. Refractories Manufacturer and Supplier
                            PSR Parkinson Spencer Refractories
                            Kiln & Furnaces
                            Refractory Insulation From Lloyd R.I.S Ltd
                            Manchester Refractory Ltd
                            Pyrotek - Homepage
                            Aggregate Materials - Stoke-on-Trent | Grange Aggregate
                            FIREBRICKS, FIRE BRICKS,fireback,cast iron,firebasket,firebrick,fire dog,fire front - Dudley Designs

Stone Wall Cladding
                            Artificial wall cladding sandstone

Oven Look Ideas:
                            Frankie G's Wood-Fired Pizza Oven

Comment

Hi all

I bought my firebricks off Kilnlinings

Reasonable prices, very helpful advice, they also have specials on slightly damaged items

They also give a discount if you are a member of the UK Wood Fired Oven Forum

I hope this helps

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X